Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Round on surface of Sheetmetal Punched Form

Curtis Berndt

Having a problem with around. I punched a sheetmetal part and then tried to round the the base of the form. The round inverts. Instead of forming a fillet "up" it forms "down". Anybody else have this problem?

round on punched surface.jpg

I will try to take a look on Monday at work. Decided to make my weekend a three day's as to much work and not enough play makes for no fun.

I'm not an expert at using punch tools on Creo, but looking at your STEP files, it appears that your punch is creating a through hole in your model. Online videos seem to support the idea that sharp inside edges on the punch model will create a cut in the sheet metal. Try adding your radius to your punch model or creating a new punch model with a radius and see if that solves your problem.

I looked at your model and it is a little hard to understand your goal. Keep in mind

Keep in mind the following points when using the Punch Form tool or the Die Form tool:
• You must assign radii values for form and die geometry that are greater than the value of the sheet metal thickness, otherwise the part may fail during regeneration.
• When the reference model contains a combination of concave and convex surfaces, the resulting hollows must not drop below the base plane or mating surface.
• You can create a coordinate system reference within the form to define the strike point on the part during the manufacturing process.
• You can set the dependency of the punch or die form feature on the reference model when you place it using Inheritance. You can set it to update automatically when the reference model changes, update it manually when the reference model changes, or be independent of the reference model. When you create a feature with No Dependency it does not update, and no notification appears, when there are changes to the reference model.

2018-10-23 08_00_29-ROUND_ISSUE_1_1 (Active) - Creo Parametric.jpg

I advise making a very simple model to use to learn how to use this function.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back