Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Assembly Kits

saspinall

Hi all

So, we work on assemblies with say, maybe less than 100 parts. We have a project this year to "standardize" these assemblies and break them down into Kits. So instead of stipulating all the parts in the top level assy, you would stipulate 4 or 5 kits. These kits can then be modular..and making up another type of assembly might use Kit 1, Kit 2, Kit 4 and Kit 5....whereas another type of assembly might use Kit 1, Kit 3, Kit 4 and Kit 5. This is all well and good in the PDM world, where the PDM BOM is just a selection of a bag of part. What I am more interested is is how this translates in the CAD World, especially Creo 3.0, which we currently use.

Is it best using some form of Skeleton models to hand the kits off, with know axes, lengths etc instead on placing parts in space in the kit (assembly) models, so we would have a skeleton model of the top level assy, and hang the kit parts off that skeleton, then when assembling into the top level, using default constraints would place all 4 or 5 kits into the top level assembly and it would look like a fully assembled assembly.

Thanks in advance

Stu

If I understand what you're trying to do correctly you should be able to use a family table to do all this.

I would look into simplified Reps. Fast and No lost time regenerating. Family tables will cost you a lot of time and require regeneration and many other conditions that can be problematic.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back