Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Startup on display 2

dr_gallup

Got a new workstation with a AMD FirePro W7100 graphics adapter and dual Dell 1960 x 1200 24" monitors. How do I get WF4 to launch on the second monitor?

Provided that the 'second monitor' is also part of your 2-screen-desktop, this should work:

Start WF4 using this line:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\proeWildfire 4.0\bin\proe.exe" ResizeWindow.txt

ResizeWindow.txt is this file: (basically a short trail.txt file):
!trail file version No. 1400
!Pro/ENGINEER TM Wildfire 4.0 (c) 2010 by Parametric Technology Corporation All Rights Reserved.
!!!!!
~ Activate `main_dlg_cur` `main_dlg_cur`
~ Resize `main_dlg_cur` `main_dlg_cur` \
4 0.000000 0.000000 48.759963 25.794254
!!!!!
~ Move `main_dlg_cur` `main_dlg_cur` \
2 27.065802 0.207600
!End of Trail File

Where you should play a bit with the numbers. 27.065802 0.207600 is the coordinate of the new WF main window.
Where in line 0.000000 0.000000 48.759963 25.794254 ...
48.759963 25.794254 is the window size.

Let me know if this works ......

Thanks, that at least gives me a starting point. As a work around, I made my RH screen the #1 monitor so for now Pro/E launches there and I've got the start menu vertically on the left edge of that monitor (I don't see how I can get it on the second monitor). With that setup I ran your trail file and this is the result:
Capture.jpg

The initial Pro/E window shifted right about half way off the monitor.

If I open another window, it opens back to the left side of the monitor next to the start menu.

What I want to do is make the LH monitor #1 and have the start menu vertical there on the right hand edge and get Pro/E to launch on the RH monitor. Do I need to change something here (note the monitor cables have been switched so #1 is actually on the right at the moment):
Capture.jpg

Try setting up the monitors in the 'normal' way: LH monitor is #1 and RH monitor is #2.
If you then run the trail file I mentioned, is the 'missing RH part' of the main window showing up on your RH monitor?

If, from this window, a new file is opened, I noticed that sometimes the new window appears on the same shifted position. Sometimes however, this new window indeed shows up on the left side.
I can't seem to find a way to automatically run a trail file upon opening a new file from an already open WF window.
The only way I can think of is to open a new file with a mapkey you have to create. In this mapkey you call the ResizeWindow.txt trail file after opening the file....
This works .. except I can't make WF wait so I can select the file to open ....

If the worst comes to worst .. you could create a mapkey that simply runs the trail file ResizeWindow.txt to shift a newly opened window to the far right, to your RH monitor .....

I can't get WF4 to open everything on monitor 2, the file open and aux windows keep going back to monitor 1. So, as an alternative, is there anyway to get the Windows 7 start menu to open on monitor 2?

Well, that proved to be too easy. I just unlocked the task bar and dragged it to the other monitor! You would think it would be in under the task bar properties where you tell it the location on screen.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back