Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Overall speed

toonyank

Hi all,

We have gone back to a stand alone situation (No Windchill). We have all of our data in one network directory. Over 40K files and will only increase. Is there any advise out there as to how to speed up different operations, file retrieval, in session tasks and overall speed? Example, just creating an extrusion or any feature for that matter. Click on a feature creation and it takes like a minute for the dialog boxes to even display. Things of that nature. Is there an environment variable that can up the performance?

Any advise would be appreciated. Last time I dealt with search paths and stand alone was probably way back on Wildfire 1.

A couple of config options that help:

regen_int_mdls_on_retr no
disable_search_path_check yes

I don't see why creating a feature should have anything to do with directory size. Where do you write your trail files? That needs to be on a local hard drive such as c:\temp. Writing those across a network will cause a huge slowdown.

Never the less, for file searching and retrieval, I would find some logical way to split your data up into multiple directories if possible. We use different part number series for different product lines so all the 9122-.... files go in the 9122 directory and all the 4016-.... files go in the 4016 directory. Just do whatever works for you. All your templates in one directory and all your symbols in another, etc.

Thanks all,

Yes I agree, I don't know what could cause the "hourglass" to keep stalling actions on simple task based stuff like feature creation. Our trails are stored locally so that's in check. Sometimes just going between parts and assemblies in session hangs up. Could be a graphics thing. My laptop is 5 years old so that alone isn't doing any favors.

I don't see why creating a feature should have anything to do with directory size. Where do you write your trail files? That needs to be on a local hard drive such as c:\temp. Writing those across a network will cause a huge slowdown.

Never the less, for file searching and retrieval, I would find some logical way to split your data up into multiple directories if possible. We use different part number series for different product lines so all the 9122-.... files go in the 9122 directory and all the 4016-.... files go in the 4016 directory. Just do whatever works for you. All your templates in one directory and all your symbols in another, etc.

Is there a config option that declares where assemblies, parts and drawings are saved? Thinking of a simple approach three folders for assemblies, parts and drawings. When a part is created, how will it be saved in its appropriate folder?

Is there a config option that declares where assemblies, parts and drawings are saved? Thinking of a simple approach three folders for assemblies, parts and drawings. When a part is created, how will it be saved in its appropriate folder?

You can have config.pro search_paths defined so Pro/E can find your lower level components. I would not try to separate out parts, assemblies and drawings to different folders rather put reusable parts in a library and custom parts, assemblies and drawings in project folders. Change the working directory to where you want to save an object before you create it then it will be saved there.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back