Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Windchill

Den E

IMHO, Windchill is the most non-intuitive, user-unfriendly, convoluted, time wasting load of crap that I have ever encountered.
There, now I feel better.

IMHO, Windchill is the most non-intuitive, user-unfriendly, convoluted, time wasting load of crap that I have ever encountered.

Haha, it can be a bear...with some time/training and tinkering around it is not bad.

one of my favorites is when you go to revise a file you are presented with a text entry box to enter the new revision. my company uses revisions A1, B1, etc. if you accidentally use a lower case letter, it just doesn't work. no error. no dialog box popping up saying something went wrong. it just won't work and it won't tell you that it didn't work or why it didn't work. if type in a capital letter then all is good in the world.

PTC software at its finest!

one of my favorites is when you go to revise a file you are presented with a text entry box to enter the new revision. my company uses revisions A1, B1, etc. if you accidentally use a lower case letter, it just doesn't work. no error. no dialog box popping up saying something went wrong. it just won't work and it won't tell you that it didn't work or why it didn't work. if type in a capital letter then all is good in the world.

I'm working on a revision in WC right now, and the hoops you have to jump thru in order to do a simple revision is crazy. I'm still trying to figure out what WC is good for. Besides headaches.

You shouldn't need to type anything in. It should increment automatically to the next appropriate level. If you have to type it in, someone didn't configure it correctly.

You shouldn't need to type anything in. It should increment automatically to the next appropriate level. If you have to type it in, someone didn't configure it correctly.

if it incremented by a letter or a number only I'd agree with you. but in our case, we had a reason to possibly revise from A1 to B1 to B2 to C1 to C2 to C3 to D1, etc. most of us in the office no longer follow this protocol and increment the letter with every change. but when the system was implemented management believed there was a reason to keep the letter revision the same but increment the number.

in this case, there's no way for the software to know if you are increment the letter or the number so it requires manual entry.

if it incremented by a letter or a number only I'd agree with you. but in our case, we had a reason to possibly revise from A1 to B1 to B2 to C1 to C2 to C3 to D1, etc. most of us in the office no longer follow this protocol and increment the letter with every change. but when the system was implemented management believed there was a reason to keep the letter revision the same but increment the number.

in this case, there's no way for the software to know if you are increment the letter or the number so it requires manual entry.

Was the letter and number system used for some kind of redline system?

It still sounds like the OIRs should be updated based on current use.

The easiest way to have set it up is to have the revision as the Letter and iteration of that revision as the number. I actually use numbers for both. The display on my drawings are (Revision).(Iteration) but this can easily be set as (Revision)(Iteration) in the case of using a letter. Obviously using a number for both is confusing without the period.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back