Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How do you define expert at Creo?

design-engine

Some are funny.....
a few Definitions of being an expert at Creo in no particular order ...

1 That you can edit definition with some confidence on other designer's parts (we all know our managers may not know if we remodel others work. It may seam appropriate and it may be. Some Mirror features while others mirror the entire solid.

2 Don't complain when working on someone else's part.

3 When the system fails and Creo crashes loosing everything an expert laughs because they just saved. The Intermediate or Armature will cry from frustration because they didn't save all day.

4 An expert can model a product and change it 20 times in less than 20 minutes w/o failure. - one of my bart brejcha quotes

5 An Expert will try to remain open minded and not remain closed to new workflow or ideals. Who was the last to goto intent manager? We all struggled with that one I bet. Although we may struggle at first and not understand completely, an expert embraces change and new ways of thinking.

6 Understands many of the basics of Creo so Top Down design works smoothly and with out Fail.

7 Knows Surfacing, Sheetmetal and one other module

8 Can explain in words or through example how Solidworks is inferior.

9 Learns fast.

How do you define an expert? Any other ideals? Or ones to take off?

Last edited:
I think that you were an expert if you can lie to the software to get it to do what it wasn't designed to do. This goes for just about any software.

i think that if you're an expert you shouldn't have to accept that your "powerful and superior" tool crashes so often that you have learned to save your work more frequently than non experts.

I also think that if you are an expert, you understand that your tool may not necessarily be superior to Solidworks in all instances but you are justifying why you need to use it instead of a different tool. an expert uses the best tool for the job. a Lamborghini can get me to the grocery store just as easily as a Hyundai and I don't need the sophistication or power of the Lambo to do most of my daily driving...........

Well I know I'm no expert at Creo because every time I try to use it I curse up a blue moon and got back to WF4

I got a laugh. I always say 'if you don't crash your not trying hard enough'. But that's more for racing than cad.... but apples to CAD too. One of the industrial designers at designengine is a runner and told me yesterday that if at a track meet you don't barf you didnt run hard enough.

To compare sw to creo Ill say sw crashes and gets funky more often that creo. Where i crash Creo, solidworks can't even compare because of the lack of functionality. I don't really crash so often however. But often I am not working on real projects teaching takes up most of my time. I have noticed SW crash similar in time to creo maybe more often. At lease creo don't crash upon saving a file. if you do that in sw you compromise the database. Got save incremental and zip up your saves w/ solidworks but that's a different topic. I worked with a guy years ago that would send his manager into a anxiety ridden state by crashing Pro/ENGINEER on demand. He knew exactly what mouse clicks simultaneous rotation to crash Pro/E. I laugh thinking about it. Of course he just saved.

To dr_galllup all I can do is laugh. He is clearly pushing the tool in places we don't understand and maybe he can elaborate... Is creo 2 not stable like wf4? IS creo3.0 more stable than Creo2?

Moldman says "Lie to the software" ... yes. I discribe that differently. I like to say that's why Im so good at solidworks. Because I understand the work arounds (lie) so well using Pro/ENGINEER since 1990 that I understand making this work because of the lack of functionality back then that I am so great at work arounds.... I can do great stuff w/ solidworks.

Last edited:
An expert finds out how to get to the result they want rather than settling for the result that the software makes easy. In other words, I don't let software limitations (or, more accurately, my limited understanding of the software) drive my design intent.

An expert bakes his design intent into the way the model is created so late changes are easier.

An expert isn't afraid to roll back to very early features to make a proper change to a model even if it risks multiple downstream failures because they know that will result in a better representation of their design intent and a more robust and flexible model.

An expert knows that on rare occasions (under the gun very late in the process when further change is highly unlikely, for example) taking shortcuts and hacking the model is the right way to go. (Though it kills them to do it.)

An expert never, ever mirrors features. I'm kidding. Mostly. (Mirrored features suck.)

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back