Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_gallup View Post
    Well see if you can get any overlapping geometry with a toroidal bend, I could not get it to.
    I could, right now, but then changed some dimension and it doesn't regen anymore and since the old dimensions were "weak" I don't know how to get back to that :/ Seems it's very critical but I'll check again

Ok, so I did it, but not the way I did it before, that was an incredible case that I'm not probably going to do again I made a part like this one, let's put the distance between the two surfaces at 350, then I place a plane at 10 from the protruding part, like in picture. Now you can do a toroidal bend "360 degree rotation" placing the profile like you see in the picture, and extending the bend from the profile plane to the datum plane created before. I know the explanation sucks, I'm sorry :/ But as you can see, it works because it bends all the geometry but "closes" the 360 degree between the start and end plane.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015-11-20_145603.jpg   2015-11-20_145651.jpg   2015-11-20_145805.jpg  

It seems, anyway, that there's a limit: I made a part like this: a slanted extrusion with two planes to determine the area that's going to be "bent to 360 degree" by the toroidal bend. The parts outside the two planes are bent anyway so there's more than a 360 degree turn. Anyway the part will fail if the length of the area between the planes is LESS than HALF the length of the part, that is, you can go twice around the axis, but no more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015-11-20_152628.jpg  

Nice work Zpaolo...I thought it should be possible. That's spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by CPiotrowski View Post
    Nice work Zpaolo...I thought it should be possible. That's spot on.
    Thank you, I think the "two turns" limit is reasonable: you can have a tip as long as your part, and a pocket as long as your part, but you can't have a tip longer than your part or there will be an overlap. Still I don't know how I did the first one, I should've taken a picture

Have you tried making it a closed cylinder the doing a rip for the zig-zag?
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by srieger View Post
    Have you tried making it a closed cylinder the doing a rip for the zig-zag?
    Nice idea, not sure how you go about creating a closed cylinder in sheet metal (just make a solid extrude?).

In a related subject, I've got a STEP model back from a potential supplier, there are minor differences in the shape of our split line. I want to unfold his part but can't figure out how to convert it from a solid to a sheet metal part since there is no flat surface to use as the driving surface.
    PTC quality philosophy: We've upped our quality standards. Up yours.

Example

Take a look at the attached file. I am pretty sure this is what you are looking for.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by dr_gallup View Post
    In a related subject, I've got a STEP model back from a potential supplier, there are minor differences in the shape of our split line. I want to unfold his part but can't figure out how to convert it from a solid to a sheet metal part since there is no flat surface to use as the driving surface.
    You shouldn't need a flat surface to use as a driving surface. Import and convert to sheetmetal. Prompt for Driving surface, select the outer surface and it should convert. If not, something else is wrong. Faces aren't parallel or side edges aren't perpendicular to the driving surface.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by srieger View Post
    You shouldn't need a flat surface to use as a driving surface. Import and convert to sheetmetal. Prompt for Driving surface, select the outer surface and it should convert. If not, something else is wrong. Faces aren't parallel or side edges aren't perpendicular to the driving surface.
    In that case the first feature is a sheet metal feature. If you have import geom it's not sheet metal and it won't accept the outer (or inner) surface. The geom is good, the Pro/E is weak. The end faces are not parallel because it's not a full 360 degree bend. The part has to be able to close down when it's pressed in.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    PTC quality philosophy: We've upped our quality standards. Up yours.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast