Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Spacemouse alternative

SW

We've been working a new type of 3D input device for a few years now and you may have seen a few posts about it elsewhere on this forum. It was designed in Creo.

It's been a long struggle but we've finally got it working with CAD software and have it for sale as a built-to-order product. The limited batch size means it comes in at £650 (around $1000 or €885 at current exchange rates) plus VAT and shipping. To try and get some general feedback we have created a (very short four-question) survey and I'd be really grateful if you could complete it.

http://goo.gl/forms/ZsjJO18qcM

More details about the product are on our website: www.worthingtonsharpe.com

Many thanks,

Sam

Last edited:
This may just be 3D mouse propaganda, but I was reading something awhile back that said if you use both hands simultaneously and independently to complete a task, such as a pianist for example, you use both hemispheres of the brain. Extended use of both hands in this way 'exercises' and strengthens the connections between both sides of the brain, so they're better integrated, which results in enhanced creativity.

Thanks for pointing out the typo Tracy. I've corrected it now.

Interesting point about using both hands at the same time.My good lady is a painter and perhaps I'll suggest she should start using two paint brushes at the same time.

Sarcasm aside, I'm a little sceptical that using a spaceball and mouse enhances brain interconnectivity any more than using a keyboard and mouse together. It may be better in terms of separating the motor functions, but then again there is evidence that as the preferred hand has more control fidelity it follows it would be faster and more accurate at tasks like pointing view control. The other hand is better suited to simpler tasks like stabbing at the keyboard.

We've studies the theory but I think we'd need to get some learned institution to run a proper usability test. Other than that, I think it might just be a swings and roundabouts thing.

Sam

I have no idea if using a space ball and mouse enhances brain connectivity but I can say that being able to spin with one hand and select with the other enhances productivity. I don't know what markets you are targeting but the CAD market chokes at the cost of a space ball, I don't think anyone outside the military is going to be interested in a $1000 input device.

We've certainly had interest outside the military but you're right that we are limiting the volumes at that price. We're currently looking at funding options so we can get the production volume up and the price down. The first spacemice were comparable in price but we can't escape the fact things have moved on a bit since then.

We're trying to get an idea from that survey how far off we are. http://goo.gl/forms/ZsjJO18qcM

Sam

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back