Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

4k screen and creo3 poor performance

mitip

If you are thinking of a 4k screen and creo 3 don't, yet at least. I am getting very frustrated with performance.

I made a jump from WF5 straight the C3. And whilst Creo3 has many nice features I made the mistake of believing the hype about support for the new 4k screens etc etc. Hardware is so cheap now (and I can say that because in mid 1990's I bought Silicon Graphics workstations for $40k) . So I got my client to buy a new Dell 7810 tower with 7th fastest cpu available (E5 2670 v3 see 'cpu benchmark'), and two of them for good measure with 64GB RAM and nVidia K2200. If this set up doesnt work, being new, fresh out the box with SSD hard drives and nothing else running then what does?

Issues.
1. It seesm the line widths are not controllable in C3, and probably never will be. Hence a highlighted or selected curve may changes from black to blue or green to yellow or red to blue, whatever you choose, but remains so thin that my eyes cant see the difference. Being able to discern the difference between a selected and unselected line is beyond my (and probably most human) optical capacity (even with darkened room, good glasses and trying all manner of backgrounds and colours it is no better). QED 4k screens not practical.

2 Using two 28" 4k screen seems nice, I believe nVidia say you can drive 3 or 4. But they refresh sequentially so the model seems to jump around as you move so you end up working on one. The 4K display LOOKS awesome. But I am actually slower than W5 because I cant see!

3. some thing is slowing the whole system down. I have the Windows 7 performance manager running and for no known reason I see the cpus all jump to nearly flat out and Creo hangs with Not Responding displayed, sometimes for 60 seconds at a time before it settles. For those of you used to crashes my heart is in my mouth every time, 'will it recover? what will I lose if it doesn't?'

I will be happy - nay delighted - to be proven wrong and for someone show me a magic tweak that resolves these key issues. Anyone else having the same challenges? Any response from PTC?

Is that an issue only with Creo or also with other packages? What version of windows are you running? Creo isn't yet completely compatible with "hi-dpi" modes in Windows as far as I can tell from my tests with a "bootcamped" macbook pro with retina display, so it's basically struggling to render everything at 4k resolution.

You are always better off with a couple fast cores than lots of slower cores for CAD. For the most part CAD systems are single threaded so extra cores just sit there doing nothing. Many of the benchmarks are written to use multiple cores so they are not useful for specing a CAD workstation. See Olaf Cortens benchmarks for Pro/E for more representative results. Also, never, ever adopt a PTC program until they are up to M100+.

As far as your thin lines, can you reduce the resolution of the 4k screens to standard 1920 x 1080 resolution? I would think that would give you thicker lines and a lot less flickering. Yes it waists all that 4k resolution but what good is it if you can't see the lines?

Unresponsive periods seem endemic to Windows 7, my workstation will just lock up periodically, doesn't matter if Creo is running or not. Any program running will give the Not Responding indication for ~60 seconds then everything goes back to normal. Seems to happen to everyone.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back