Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Is it possible to cut a finished piece into multiple pieces for separate .stl files.

Keith Hogan

I have a model drawn of the aortic valve for a masters thesis project. My problem is that I need the model in separate pieces so I can 3D print them separately to form a physical assembly. Is it possible to cut the finished model into separate pieces and generate .stl files for each piece using Creo Parametric ?

The easiest way in Pro-E is if it's one solid part is to cut away what you don't want then export the remaining.

Last edited:
You want the Master Model Merge Technique. You create the entire assembly as the master part, then put it into an assembly, and then cut the individual parts off it. The master remains so you can control all the other parts by modifying just it.
Just google it or search here for it to get all the details. There's plenty of discussion about it.

Create and assembly and assemble your complete part. Assemble as many empty parts as you want pieces in the end. In assembly, create some curves to dictate where the part gets "broken up". Merge the original part to each of the empty parts. Now go to each or these parts and cut away what you don't want. If you change the original model, the others will update.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back