Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

search working directory for search.pro in config.pro?

krow72

Is there a setting in config.pro that I can have it look in my working directory for a search.pro? (IE.. search_path_file workingdirectory\search.pro) I would like to make multiple search.pro's to find components for assemblies (since we do not have PLM software). Every project I work on it takes a long time to just open the assembly because I have to continuously go find the missing parts. Most of these parts are spread out through multiple projects. Please tell me there is a way!!

If it's simply a matter of opening the assembly without all the clicking, just do it once and then save the trail file. Now all you have to do to open the assembly is to run the trail file. Not the most elegant solution, but it works just fine. Of course you will have to write a new trail file every time you add a foreign component to the assembly.

If you have a search.pro in your working directory and no where else that Creo looks for by default, then if your shortcut used to launch Creo is starting in your working directory it will automatically find it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. unfortunately none of these will do what I am wanting/needing. I guess I will have to stick to making new config.pro files in each directory with search paths and load those every time.

You don't need a different Config.pro
All you need is to eliminate the search path that is in your config.pro and create a shortcut to start pro that starts in the desired working directory assuming that all the parts that are needed are in that directory.

dross, the problem is that I have parts scattered throughout multiple directories. It is times like this I wish we had PLM software. Also, my working directory changes on a daily basis depending on which project I am working on. I was hoping it would be something simple in the config file like...search_path *working directory/search2.pro but I guess that would be too simple. I will keep limping along like usual.

Instead of putting your search path in the config, try putting it in your computer's environment - path="..".
you could even do a batch file that can establish the search paths in your computer's directory and then fire up pro.

Hello krow72,
this is what I would do:
- have a basic config.pro in the \text folder
- create an icon for each project which points to the project working dir
- put your project config.pro with search_path or search_path_file there
then everything will load fine.
You can have more than one search_path_file, they will load in sequence.
- move icons of finished projects into a folder on your desktop
Each object must exist only once to avoid different revision states so putting all objects into the project folder is not an option
The config.pro option file_open_default_folder working_directory should be set.
HTH
Reinhard

We deal with this all the time. It's really simple. First of all, there is no need for any search.pro files. Never needed one. You can have multiple search paths in any config.pro, just don't put one in your config.sup as that will be the last search path you can load. Our system config.pro loads the standard search paths that we all use all the time. Then in each working directory we have a config.pro that has all special settings for that project. These config.pro files load additional search paths, templates, set units, etc. I have a macro that loads the config.pro in the working directory and an icon that runs the macro right next to the change working directory icon.

So the work flow goes like this. Start Pro/E. Everyone starts up at the top of our Pro/E network directory structure. Change down to your working directory. Hit the load config macro icon. You can now start working on that project and all the correct settings including search paths are already set. Takes very little maintenance after the initial setup, works for everybody on the network.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back