Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

PDM Essentials general query

mdristy

Has anyone set up PDM Essentials successfully? I would like to hear your experience and of any affordable resources you used to help your installation and setup, and figure out how to use it on a basic level.

I have it installed after tremendous expense (had to purchase an expensive HP server, MS Server 2012, PDM Essentials (obviously), CALs, hire an IT consultant for a few hours, etc...) and a great deal of my time (probably 100 hours or more.) (I might mention I am a one-man engineering/design consulting firm.)

It still is not set-up for practical use in my company.

Before I took the plunge, I found a YouTube video that said it almost installed itself and guided you through the setup, and that turned out to be incredibly misleading.

I really can't continue to use Intralink 3.4 and Wildfire 4.0 much longer, so I am nearing the point of reverting to life without any real CAD data manangment system.

Although Intralink was never incredible, it has some great basic, powerful functionality that I hate to lose. I am still holding out hope that PTC will simplify PDM Essentials and maybe publish a book or series of videos that show how to install and then set it up for a small company, and then showcase and show how to use its functions.

Any good experiences out there? Any alternatives that are working well for you?

Hi

Using and managing Windchill is a much different that Intralink 3.4. I will recomment you to join some training. Perhaps e-learning in PTC University could be a good use for you.

I think installation OOTB of PDM Essentials is more easy that it was for Intralink 3.4. Where in the process are you today? Do you have a system up?
What are you trying to do? If you is trying to "upgrade" from Intralink 3.4 to PDM Essentials 10.2 it is very complicated. Intralink 3.4 is running on Oracle DB and PDM Essentials is using MS SQL.

Hi, Yes, the PDM Essentials is up and functioning and can be connected to by CREO clients. Now I just need instructions on how to set up users, make "workspaces" and "commonspaces" (or whatever they are called now), set up a simple release and change process, and learn about the powerful functions available (like duplicating parts, assemblies and drawings, etc..) and how to use them. Do you know of a administrator and user's manual that explains these things in one place, without sending you to all sorts of endless links and such? Thanks, Mark

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back