Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

help with surfaces and fillets

fishface68

Hi All,
I am new to the forum and in the process of learning to use solidworks. I can create 80+% of the parts that I need but i keep hitting stumbling blocks that kick my butt! i am working on modelling vintage aircraft parts for restorations and i am using solidworks 2013, by the way.

Ok this part is a casting (originally diecast) but as it is not structural we will recreate it as a sand casting. The problem i have is that i cannot seem to find a way to create smooth transitions where the various elements meet. I have created the part by drawing out the base and extruding the flat part first. I have then added the webs by creating surfaces and then mirroring and patterning them. I then added the upright (only one so far). My question is really how do i create these transitions and should i be constructing the part in this way?

I have included two images of the orginal part

2014-07-03 13.21.53.jpg2014-07-03 13.22.02.jpg

Below you can see my clumbsy attempt at modelling the fillet and help will be greatly appreciated
Holt flare holder base casting exterior faces 1.jpgHolt flare holder base casting exterior faces.jpg

Many thanks Pat

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back