Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creo Model-Check

Phil C

I am beginning to experiment with the Model-Check feature in Creo. In the past, users in our company have had a negative outlook towards MC. I am attempting to activate it with hope of having better control towards models/drawings. For example, issuing a warning for making a copy of a copy of a copy geom. These mulitple copies have created problems for us in the past. I would like to ask any of you for opinions on how MC has or has not worked for any of you in the past. Does anyone believe that implementing MC can help utilize better CAD practices?

Thanks.

I've only used model check a few times when I've had problems with imported parts, and it really hasn't been that helpful. It totally baffles me that somebody would make a copy of a copy of a copy geometry. I don't copy geometry that often, so I don't know how easy this is to accidentally do. If indeed model check is helpful in pointing that out, then it definitely would be helpful in "policing" bad practices. Maybe a better idea would be if pro knew ahead of time that you were trying to make a second generation copy and warned you at the time. It sounds like you have a big job ahead of you, because I'll bet there are a lot of "shortcuts" that are being used that could use policing. Another example of something that should be warned about, or even not allowed, is the practice of putting a full radius fillet in by using two traditional fillets instead of using the two surfaces and then indicating the surface to be removed. It's a failure waiting to happen. Code can be a great policeman.

Thanks for your reply moldman. There seems to be a lot of backlash in attempts to "police" with CAD standards, but i believe it is necessary when users take their bad practices and inflict it on others.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back