Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Rename files, now missing componenets

barnam

I renamed all of my files in an assembly by using the file->rename menu option. Everything was fine, or so I thought. The drawings reference the new parts, all was good- until today I opened the main assembly and now most of the parts are missing.

I right click->retrieve missing component, but pro only wants to find the part with the old file name. If I select the correct part, but now has the new file name it fails and tells me, "selected model does not match missing model".

yay

Am I hosed? Do I have to completely rebuild my assembly and related sub-assemblies?

Thanks,
BM

It sounds like your assembly did not get saved after the parts were renamed. Unfortunately, there's not an easy fix. You can re-assemble everything or you can rename all your components to their old names so your assembly works.

If you have a backup from prior to the rename, it will likely be easier to start over with the rename. When i'm doing a big rename, I always make a backup in a sub-folder just in case something like this happens.

Good luck.

It sounds like your assembly did not get saved after the parts were renamed. Unfortunately, there's not an easy fix. You can re-assemble everything or you can rename all your components to their old names so your assembly works.

If you have a backup from prior to the rename, it will likely be easier to start over with the rename. When i'm doing a big rename, I always make a backup in a sub-folder just in case something like this happens.

Good luck.

dgs- thanks for the answer. I was afraid of that but at least it gives me the opportunity to restructure my assembly...

BM

If you know the parts old / new name just rename in explorer before opening the assembly pro will do the rest, as the assembly only calls up files by name, you can fool pro/e and swap parts.

I often get a few problems renaming components such as unexpected crashes. So I will always save the entire model to a backup first, so I know if I get a major mess, I can just go to the backup and everything is good. If you have the drawing window open, just save that to the backup and all models and components will be backed up automatically also.
Now, a trick about renaming the individual components is that you have to also have the drawing open also. Otherwise you will experience the problems you have stated. Also, hit the save button after each renaming just incase you have a crash.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back