Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Optimizing the Mass

CADfan

Dear all,
I have designed a Wind turbine Rotor which seems to be overdesigned. The Heavy thickness is used in many parts. That in turn increased the overall mass of the Rotating & Non Rotating parts of the Rotor. Now I would like to reduce the mass of Turbine parts without scarifying the strength of the parts. As we are all know that Stress, (Principal Stress) Strain calculation will give us the safe mass required for the parts to bear the applied load. For static condition, its OK. But for Dynamic loading and combined loading condition, it will be difficult to predict the stress & Strain.

Initially I thought analyzing the Mechanism using Creo Mechanism Dynamics option and transfer the load to Creo simulates. But later I have decided to take the load values from Creo Mechanism Dynamics Analysis and input the same load into the Ansys – FE Analysis.

In Ansys I have planned to import the whole assembly as IGES model and mesh using 10 node Tetra hedtral element and apply the Creo Mechanism Dynamics load at each joint (Say load and reaction values)

Will my idea work? Please let me, if anything is not correct or otherwise give me the Best Practice in Optimizing the Mass of parts while keeping the stress well below endurance limit to avoid Fatigue failure

The Minimum rotating mass is needed for easy quick startup (Less starting torque) of Turbine at low wind speed.
Rotor, bearing housing bolted on the Stator frame. I am interested in finding the load (Centrifugal load, Tensile, shear etc.) using Creo Mechanism Dynamics. And Apply the same load when the stator & Rotor frame imported on Ansys.

Expecting all your Valuable suggestions

Thanks in advance.

CADfan

Dear all,
My query is, Analyze the whole assembly or parts by parts. Which will give the good result. Please give me your valuable suggestions.

CADfan

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back