Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

PDF line weights

MatthewJB19904

Exporting a drawing to PDF and I can't seem to get the line weight of geometry to thin out. I have tried using the pen table settings but no matter what combination of pen weights or options I use, the geometry still exports as a thick line. I can get the sheet metal line weights down to thin but that's it. Anyone have any experience playing with the pen tables settings or PDF settings? Thanks for any help. Matthew

I use pen files and it works just fine. I would validate all your settings and make sure that the geometry is geometry. Sheetmetal will generally have a thicker sided line for the green (controlling) side. So, you have to change the pen thickness of the sheetmetal pen as well.

Do you have the location of your pen table set in your config.pro? If not, it is not being used when you create the PDF. Here is what I have in my pen.pnt file that works fine for me:

! Pen 1 = white entities (object lines)
! Pen 2 = yellow entities (text, dimensions, cross hatching)
! Pen 3 = gray entities (hidden lines)
! Pen 4 = red entities (can use for drawing border if you change the
! entity color to red in the format file)
! Pen 5 = green entities (sheetmetal)
! Pen 6 = cyan entities (section)
! Pen 7 = dark gray entities (dimmed)
! Pen 8 = blue entities (spline surface grid)

pen 1 thickness 0.005 cm; color 0.0 0.0 0.0
pen 2 thickness 0.02 cm; color 0.0 0.0 0.0
pen 3 thickness 0.025 cm; color 0.0 0.0 0.0
pen 4 thickness 0.02 cm; color 0.0 0.0 0.0
pen 5 thickness 0.02 cm; color 0.0 0.0 0.0
pen 6 thickness 0.02 cm; color 0.0 0.0 0.0
pen 7 thickness 0.02 cm; color 0.0 0.0 0.0
pen 8 thickness 0.02 cm; color 0.0 0.0 0.0

I use the pen table and can control the line weights ok, but once you turn on the pen table, you lose the ability to use "stroke all fonts" properly. Any change in text thickness is now lost. typically we have certain notes made thicker to emphasize importance. Once you turn on pen tables in the PDF option the stroke all fonts option (turned on or not) will not work properly. All line weights come out the same just like what would happen if you turn the pen table on. I contacted PTC and they were able to replicate the issue. No fix and of course they said it's working as intended. You cannot control individual pieces of text once the pen table is used.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back