Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Dual Dimensions on drawing

michaelpaul

If I want to display dimensions on my drawing as dual (US and Metric), why can't I just click a toggle on the toolbar somewhere to activate this option, or why can't I edit the properties of the dimension directly and click a check box that enables this for the selected dimension rather than have to turn on this option using the drawing setup file?

For one, I do this so infrequently that I always have to Google how to do it. because who would think that the way to access the drawing setup file is via File - prepare anyway? Because that sounds obvious? (then again, it's no less obvious than performing a checkout on a file from Creo by clicking File - check in to open the sub-menu that contains the actual check out command but that's a whole other rant......) For another, it just makes no sense. I can change any other thing about the dimension including turning on tolerancing and such but I can't change to dual dimension form the dimension properties? sheesh!

Partly because it's always been that way (although you used to be able to just right click in the drawing to bring up the menu). Also because it changes the display of every dimension in a drawing. Also because you have to set several other options including the difference in number of digits displayed. But mainly because dual dimensions are such a bad idea that they want to make it really really hard to do so that most of the time you won't bother. Uncle PTC is just looking out for your best interests.

you have to remember, when using CREO its CREO's way not your way. Where is the spell checker in this CREO software?

you have to turn on the config setting. I suppose having a config.pro or like AutoCAD's acad.lsp file there is a need for settings. I would rather see a majority of the settings available in the dialog instead of berried in a settings file. Sure have both but it's almost like they hide settings by burying them in the config settings.

Partly because it's always been that way (although you used to be able to just right click in the drawing to bring up the menu). Also because it changes the display of every dimension in a drawing. Also because you have to set several other options including the difference in number of digits displayed. But mainly because dual dimensions are such a bad idea that they want to make it really really hard to do so that most of the time you won't bother. Uncle PTC is just looking out for your best interests.

"But mainly because dual dimensions are such a bad idea" really? are your serious, are you a CAD adim?

The real point here is that PTC can not do dual dimension in a format that the end user can use. Like dr_gallup pointed out, its all or nothing with dual dims in CREO. Autocad had dims styles back in 1988, I could have multiple dimension styles on the same print.

I'm still amazed at this softwares shortcomings.

creo doesnt do duel dims ;)

I have one client (engineer that works at major manufacturer) that told management Creo doesn't do Duel dims. LOL

Speaking of software shortcomings have you tried other tools? Learn UG - SW - Direct - Rhino - All that makes me like Creo more and more.

PTC bases their dimensioning functionality on standards. If you think about it, if you have dual dimensions anywhere on the drawing, one would assume you need it everywhere. This would be normal for ANSI or ISO standards. If you need multiple units anywhere, you should have it everywhere. A lot of the limitations in functionality is to standardize things.

PTC bases their dimensioning functionality on standards. If you think about it, if you have dual dimensions anywhere on the drawing, one would assume you need it everywhere. This would be normal for ANSI or ISO standards. If you need multiple units anywhere, you should have it everywhere. A lot of the limitations in functionality is to standardize things.

some holes I need at 2 place decimals, some at 3 place some at 4 place decimals, some text 1/8 some text 1/4.
none of these can be set up and defined by a dimstyle.

All this can be changed for each dimension. Go to the Annotate tab, Format, Decimal places to change the decimal place of specific dimensions, then select the dimensions you wish to change.

If you wish to use some fractions, this can be changed in the dimension properties dialogue.

By the way, this thread was about dual dimensions which is a totally different animal than what it appears you were looking for.

By the way, this thread was about dual dimensions which is a totally different animal than what it appears you were looking for.

my point is that in other cad systems you can set 1 dim style with dual dims, decimal places, text size, text color etc. you then pick a dim style and pick the
dims you want to apply this style too, done. Pick another dim style and repeat.

Question, can I create dimension styles for dual dims in Creo 2

What you need to remember is this is NOT the other systems. Many of the other systems allow for bad habits. The industry standard and rule of thumb is to standardize your dimensioning scheme on a single drawing. As such, the overall scheme is configurable in what could be termed as styles by using different drawing setup files. Having multiple schemes within a drawing just isn't a smart practice. It creates confusion and unexpected results.

You can change color any time you want. There are text styles you can create in which you can select font, text size, color, etc. Thes things and Decimal places can be changed on the fly before you place the dimension on the drawing or changed in the properties. You can also select multiple dimensions and change them all at the same time.

As far as dual dimensioning schemes... This is and should be a global configuration for the drawing. You can create setup files to configure variations. One can assume that if you need inch[mm] or any combination of dual dimensions in one place, you should also be able to interpret all the dimensions on the drawing the same way.

To compare what other software does, is not really the best way to do it. Many of these other software came from a variety of other industries, including architectural which has a completely different set of requirements. To control a mechanical print as you would an architectural print is not a good idea. Many of them may were also derived to accommodate a lot of bad habits in those industries as well.

PTC tends to do most things based on actual defined standards as well as industry standards. This way, it creates less confusion for the millions of companies worldwide creating documentation that also has to be interpreted by millions of other companies.

Now, that being said... This is how I look at it. Some may say I'm right, some may say I'm wrong. I believe is standardization to minimize confusion both on the creator and the end user. I believe it keeping things simple as possible as well.

I design fixtures to hold products to be machined. I produce shop drawings for the tool room
I have a fixture that is all dimensioned in English dimensions.
I have 1 component on the fixture that I had to purchase from Germany.
All of the tapped holes and dowels are metric in this component that mounts onto 1 of my fixture plates that has all of the other taped holes and dowels in English
On this 1 plate I have an area that has metric dowel holes and metric counter bores for mounting.

instead of have a dowel hole being labeled 6 MM its called out .2362
I then have to make a note for the 6 MM counter bored holes and attach them to the holes
Meanwhile listening to the tool room bitch about the dimensions and why cant they have English and metric dims on the same print
like where their buddy works and they have Solid Works.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back