Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Boundary Surface Tangengy

mkzler

I am trying to create a surface with a tangency or curvature condition with an existing surface.

I have created a projected curve on the existing surface and wish to use this projected curve as one side of a boundary surface. I can do this (see attached image), but I do not have the option to add tangency control.

I have attached another image of this part constructed in another software to give a better idea of the desired result.

Interestingly, I am able to make a boundary surface with tangency control if I create the curve using the spline on surface tool. The problem with that solution is that the curve is created with the spline tool and is not the same as a projected straight line (or curve created by intersecting the existing surface and extruded flat surface, that did not work for me either).

I have a long history with Pro/E and my thought process certainly reflects this. Is there a better way to achieve what I want in SW?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Attachments

• sw-surface-connection.jpg
    sw-surface-connection.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 19
  • desired-geometry.jpg
    desired-geometry.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 22
hmmm... I couldn't get the file size small enough to attach, even zipped with features suppressed. Is there another way to upload it?

I was able to create the surface I wanted and eventually create the solid geometry, but I'd appreciate any feedback on my model and process. I'm sure there are probably better/more efficient ways to achieve some of the features I've created.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back