Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Dual Dimensioning - how do I remove run-on decimal places?

ProEChick

I am using Creo 2.0, and in my drawing, I am showing the driving dimensions which are in MM. I have Dual dimensioning turned on and am displaying the secondary dimensions (inches) first, and then the primary dimensions (mm) as the dual dimension.

It's hit or miss as to whether the dimensions show up properly, but when the secondary dimension displays incorrectly (with 12 decimal places versus the specified 3), it won't accept any modification in the Dimension Properties.

Both of these files are of the same snapshot from my drawing displaying a couple problem dimensions:
Dimensions.jpgDimensions.jpg

I've read through multiple threads, and have exhausted multiple different config options to no avail - does anyone have any other ideas of how to fix this?

Yes, the drawing config options are all in order - that's why some dimensions display correctly. I'm not sure if it's a Creo bug with driven dimensions or not, because placed dimensions never seem to get the run-on; however, where I'm currently working, they require driven dimensions to be shown. And the default here is to just leave all the extra decimals shown, as no one seems to know how to fix it. I was hoping someone else outside the company might have a clue.

You should be able to fix this in the dimension properties box. These are your secondary dims so change the Decimal Places in the Dual dimension box to 3 and it should work. See attached.

You should be able to fix this in the dimension properties box. These are your secondary dims so change the Decimal Places in the Dual dimension box to 3 and it should work. See attached.

I am aware of that option; however it doesn't work. From my original post:
"It's hit or miss as to whether the dimensions show up properly, but when the secondary dimension displays incorrectly (with 12 decimal places versus the specified 3), it won't accept any modification in the Dimension Properties."

I guess it is just a bug that I will have to live with.

You should tell your management that dual dimension is no longer supported in Creo and just force the switch to metric. I know several major manufacturers that have quit the use of dual dims.

Design-engine - I like that stance; however, I am only a contractor. :)

UPDATE: A fix has been found! Let me apologize first in my statement that modifications in the Dimension Property box were not my resolution, as the fix is actually located in this box.

THE FIX: Under Value & Display section (in Dimension Properties dialogue box, in Properties tab), checking "Rounded Dimension Value" fixed the problem (or, in the model sketcher, right clicking and turning on "Rounded Dimension Value" also works). Note: the "Value and Display" section pertains to the primary dimension, and my run-on dimensions were in the secondary dimension, but this solved the problem.

Check your model dimensions to determine if those with "run-on decimal places" 1) are weak dimensions, or 2) have a geom check in the feature, or 3) are in an old model, are strong dimensions, but may have been sketched without Intent Manager turned on. Any of these three have been seen to cause dimensions to carry 13 significant digits. The "Rounded Dimension Value" checkbox masks this, but is counter to the long time definition of driven dimensions, that the geometry and dimension number shown should match exactly <exiting soapbox>.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back