Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

ISDX - endpoints separate from curves

guy_rounce

Hi all,

I have a question/issue with ISDX thats been bugging me for a few years now and I wonder if anyone might beable to help or shed some light on it for me.

Occasionally when Im editing a curve I will have shift pressed down and ill drag a curve endpoint to unconstrain it from whatever its contrained to, and instead of the endpoint and curve becoming unattached and moving freely around the screen with my mouse the endpoint and tangency tail will actually become unattached from the curve and move with my mouse but the curve will stay where it is.

The resulting situation is that the curve wont move at all and the enpoint and tangency tail will just be free to move about. I assumed this was a graphics thing at first but Ive seen it on different versions of ProE and Creo and on different computers of varying specifications.

The only way I can resolve this issue when it does occur, which is not very frequently, is to unlink the curve and delete it and then add another curve in.
As you can appreciate this is not a great solution and can cause a fair bit of work to rectify.

Ive had this problem on a few different computers and licenses over the years so Im pretty sure its not a graphics thing.

Anyone else experienced this? Anyone got any better solutions that delete and rebuild?

Thanks

I think it is due to the level of accuracy the model being displayed. If you work in really small detail this problem would occur.

To fix this, try increase the quality of the geometry in settings.

I dont think it has anything to do with accuracy.

I think you should look into what the curve is attached to, and if that entity/edge/surface has failed somehow? Most often when an ISDX feature failes it has something to do with edges disapering or the ref is somehow missing. You shouldnt have to delete the curve, it should be ok to just "unlink" the "endpoint that looses connection with the curve" and then you sholud be able to attach it again. If its both ends of the curve that looses connection, then do the same thing for both ends.

Works every time for me.

//Tobias

I met this not once, not twice, however my problem is always related to curves which should share same surface or plane, but they don`t. Holding "Shift" does nothing because Pro/E treats one of the curve as it is out of plane or surface(but I could swear I was created on).

So I am left with picking up plane again and then solving tangency issue.

It may not have anything to do with the accuracy setting on the entire model, but it does reflect the accuracy of ISDX in general.
The surface is probably constrained so much because of tangency connections, internal curves, etc that moving the endpoint now causes the surface to fail.
The more precisely you try to define it, the less control you have over it if anything changes.

You might try something the Greeks called Apophatic theology.
Or when Willy Wonka said, you have to go back to go forward
Addition by subtraction

One by one, clear a constraint and/or a defining feature and see if this still occurs.
You might even find that the construction is better with fewer pieces
and that the most elegant solution is often the one with just enough

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, Ill refer back to this post next time the problems rears its head!....hopefully not too soon!

If the end of the curve you are dragging is attached to another at endpoint, you can drag the parent curve to move that endpoint without it detaching.

I thought Id post a quick update on this. its happened to me a few more times recently when using ISDX and I captured some screen shots of what happens. I've attached them to this post.
Actually, the last time I took Tobbo's tip in the post above and went into the point menu of the curve and in the drop down menu selected Unlink for all soft and hard points. Then confirmed the curve so it no longer failed and then went back into the curve and redefined the points once again and all was good after that.
I've only done this once and its worked once!! so thats good!!
I'd be really interested to hear from any other users who have experienced this problem....and solved it!

Thanks Guys

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Capture4.JPG
    Capture4.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 7
Glad i could help. The "unlink" can also be done by rightclicking on the endpoint.

//Tobias

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back