Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

"Universal" parameters

Sam Doherty

Hi,

I was wondering if there is any way to assign a parameter at a top level assembly that can be used universally in all sub-assemblies, parts, features, etc. I know you can create a parameter in the top level asm, then create a parameter in a lower level asm and use relations to make the lower level one equal the top level one, but I was looking for a neater alternative if anyone knows of one.

Do you have Pro/Notebook module? I've not used it for awhile but you basically create a layout with top level parameters, datums, etc. Then you declare the assembly and part datums and parameters to be related to the layout and everything is controlled from the layout. Nomenclature may be different in current releases. I have not used it since about R20.

I am interested in this as well. I do not have Pro/Notebook, but the ability to pass along parameters to lower level subassemblies/parts is something that I have wanted to do for a long time, and assume it was possible, but never figured out how to implement.

You can also do a lot with skeletons, this seems to be the current favorite top down design paradigm.

I've found that relations are the easiest way to do this. Sample relations are:

/*These relations control the common parameters - to change them please update the main assembly parameters
CUSTOMER=CUSTOMER:1
GENERAL_TOLERANCE=GENERAL_TOLERANCE:1
LEAD_DESIGNER=LEAD_DESIGNER:1
PRODUCT_MATERIAL=PRODUCT_MATERIAL:1
PRODUCT_NUMBER=PRODUCT_NUMBER:1
PRODUCT_SHRINKAGE=PRODUCT_SHRINKAGE:1
SHOP_ORDER_NUMBER=SHOP_ORDER_NUMBER:1
TOOL_DESCRIPTION=TOOL_DESCRIPTION:1

Where the first part is the parameter in the top assembly. These relations need to go in every part in the assembly. The easiest way to do this is to already have them there in a start-part. Alternately you can cut and paste. You need to figure out a list of parameters that you want to populate. These parameters need to be in every part of the assembly. Once again, the easiest way is to put them in the start part, but it's handy to have a map key that populates an empty part with them. The biggest problem is that for some reason pro wants to change the number after the colon, so if you add a part to your assembly, you will have to edit the relations.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back