Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

change filename format to include revision when saving as stp

praveenpaul

Say I have a pro e part named 123 and its revision is AA which is managed by windchill. When i try to save the file in stp format, proe is suggesting the name as 123. I want the name suggested as 123_AA. The reason is I am trying to create a mapkey to create stp files and name it in the format filename_revision (ex. 123_AA). Is there a way for this.

The only way to do this that I know of is:

• Export the part parameters (I use text, not html) to a folder
  • Save the part in the desired format to the same folder
  • Use a batch file to search the export file for the parameter name and extract the parameter value to a variable
  • Use a batch file to search for the exported file name and assign it to a variable
  • Use a batch file to rename the exported file to <filename>_<revision>

That's the basic process I use, but I don't have Windchill. I have no idea how that would complicate or simplify it.

There is a product from Etrage Solutions (etrage.com) that will convert anything you want in Windchill to a stp, dxf, iges, etc. You can batch plot to printer or pdf, etc. You can configure it to add the revision and many other things to the name of the output file.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back