Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Noob: Converting part to sheet metal

BFresh

I'm struggling to convert a part to sheet metal so I can save it to DXF for laser cutting.

The part is downloadable via this dropbox link. https://www.dropbox.com/s/yn90z2ue7aqeshy/HT Gusset.sldprt

Its derived for a split part, which was modified, and then split again.

I've read various posts and articles but keep getting stuck. I have about 15 more parts like this to convert. I've tried but I've not used sheet metal feature on solidworks before.

Thanks

Hi, any chance you could upload the part as an IGES file. I'm using ProE in work but can hopefully tell from looking at the geometry why it's not converting.
Thanks
Michael

This part can't be converted to sheetmatel due to the eliptical cut feature and the varable bend radius of the part. The best thing to do is create another base flange starting at on end and adding edge flanges one at a time by approximating the length, angle, and radius for each segment of the curve. Then re-create the elpitical cut and add the tabs.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back