Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Maintaining REV History in Drawings

8trek

Using Windchill 10.0 and Creo Elements/wf5.

Would like to keep revision history in drawings which would include letter/number followed by a brief description of change. Current models have a parameter for REV and REV_DESCRIPTION. What is best practice/prodedure for having rev table in drawing automatically update with new rev and description and also keep previous rev and descriptions?

Thanks.

I don't use Windchill but what I have been doing is creating parameters as REV and then REV_NOTE_2, REV_NOTE_3, REV_NOTE_4 etc and using the last number on the rev note to determine at what level the revision was made. Then entering those notes in manually in the revision table. I only have a 4 place revision table because I don't make a lot of revisions in reverse engineered parts that I typically draw. If I knew I would end up making more revisions over time I'd put a longer table in and subsequently populate with the REV_NOTE_X parameters both in the start part and the drawing template which would cut down on the manual entering of the table when a revision takes place.

I've typically kept the current rev value as a parameter and all the past revs and all the rev descriptions in a table on the drawing, not associated with the model. Keeping it in the model is more trouble than it's worth in my view.

I don't use any PDM so I'm not sure if that makes things easier to do within the model or not.

I only use the rev value in the title block as rev.version. However, the notes in the Revision block don't ever change and it is too cumbersome to make this automatic. So, I find it easier to simply type the text into the revision block for each change.

Now, that being said, I should let you know that Creo elements/WF5 is not compatible with Windchill 10 and later. So, you can expect some issues.

I only use the rev value in the title block as rev.version. However, the notes in the Revision block don't ever change and it is too cumbersome to make this automatic. So, I find it easier to simply type the text into the revision block for each change.

Now, that being said, I should let you know that Creo elements/WF5 is not compatible with Windchill 10 and later. So, you can expect some issues.

When you say not compatible.... can you provide specific things not compatible or are you saying 100% not compatible cause we're currently using WF5 w/ WC10.0?????

Regarding original question, i did come up with an automated way to do this but it involves adding a bunch of parameters and lengthy relations loop to every model. After seeing how much had to be added to every model to make it work decided to shelve the finished work in case we want to revisit or use it for something else.

Hey Scott, I was under the impression that Creo Elements /WF5 WAS compatible with WC 10 and later. If you move to Creo 1.0 or 2.0 you had to be on WC10 or higher. Did I miss something??

I may have mis-spoke as I didn't look at the matrix. I was thinking of a different version. Looking at the matrix, Creo Elements/WF5 is compatible with certain builds to specific builds of Windchill 10.0. However, I do know that Creo 1.0 requires 10.0. Creo 2.0 requires 10.1. Creo 1.0 is definitely not compatible with 10.1 and Creo 2 is only compatible with M030 or M040 of Windchill 10.0.

Sorry for the confusion.

Now back to topic, I feel sometimes the management, training and consistency of automating some things is just simply too cumbersome. So, I opt to do certain things like this in a more manual method. It is not something you do with every item on a daily basis so, it's not as critical in my opinion to automate. If it requires too many people to think too much, it will never be done properly.

Similarly to something like the selectable list for certain parameters. Yes you can do it, but it's a management nightmare. So, I opt not to do it and standardize things like material entries in an external source.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back