Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Saving iterations of a part (like I did in Pro-E)

davidinindy

Pro-E saved parts as xxxx.prt.1, xxxx.prt.2, etc.
Is there a was to do this with solidworks?
It was handy if you made a mistake and couldn't undo it. Just close out, delete latest version, and open the file again.

David,

Yes this can be done but it's almost impossible to find in online help site.
You want to enable Backup copies in Tools Options. Unlike ProE Solidworks will rename the files in reverse order so the latest one will still be .PRT and the previous ones get a prepended Backup 1, 2, 3 of [Filename.EXT] so if you saved twice
[Filename.EXT, Backup 1 of Filename.EXT] first save (Filename.EXT.2, Filename.EXT.1)
Filename.EXT, Backup 1 of Filename.EXT, Backup 2 of Filename.EXT] (Filename.EXT.3, Filename.EXT.2, Filename.EXT.1)

[Solidworks name scheme Newest to oldest] (ProE name scheme Newest to oldest)

To achieve this when you save Solidworks renames all the backupfiles so
Backup 2 becomes Backup 3 of
Backup 1 becomes Backup 2 of
.sldPRT becomes Backup 1 of

The nice thing about this although a task for SolidWorks is you don't need to worry about categorizing all .1 .2 .3 files because windows thinks .# is a unique file type. Also the latest file always has the original name.

If I find it in online help I'll post their description of the backup/restore options.

Michael

Last edited:

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back