Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Cant use the Equation function - "The syntax of this equation is incorrect"

Incongruity

Dear Fellas
I have a problem with the equation function in SolidWorks, the problem is simply that I cannot create any equation driven dimension!

I can open the equation tool but that’s about it. SW response to any simple equation is that I got the syntax wrong. I use SolidWorks 2003 version.

My steps in more detail below:
1. I open a new sketch
2. I make a simple rectangle
3. I give a dimension to the two of the sides of the rectangle, SolidWorks automatically name the two dimensions D1 and D2
4. I click “Equations” in the “tools”-menu
5. I click “Add…” in the window that then opens
6. I get up the window where you can enter you equation
7. I click on one dimension, for example the D1 and SolidWorks then automatically fills in "D1@Sketch1"
8. I then click the equal sign (with a space before and after) using the number and operator buttons to the left in the window)
9. Then I test different things e.g. clicking on the D2 dimension so that it says "D1@Sketch1" = "D2@Sketch1" or adds "D1@Sketch1" = "D2@Sketch1" * 2 or simply "D1@Sketch1" = 5 or something else then I click “ok”
10. No matter what kind of equation I enter I get a window up saying “The syntax of this equation is incorrect” after having pushed the “ok” button in the previous step! Slightly frustration

I assume that the left hand of the equal sign is the dimension that you want to assign a value and the right hand of the equal sign is defining/assigning this value, thus the “formula” should be on the right hand side.
I hope that someone could point out my error. It's so basic that either I am doing something fundamentally wrong or it’s a freak thing.

Have you resolved this issue? I am learning SolidWorks 2013 and their forum was a failure.

Dear Fellas
I have a problem with the equation function in SolidWorks, the problem is simply that I cannot create any equation driven dimension!

I can open the equation tool but that’s about it. SW response to any simple equation is that I got the syntax wrong. I use SolidWorks 2003 version.

My steps in more detail below:
1. I open a new sketch
2. I make a simple rectangle
3. I give a dimension to the two of the sides of the rectangle, SolidWorks automatically name the two dimensions D1 and D2
4. I click “Equations” in the “tools”-menu
5. I click “Add…” in the window that then opens
6. I get up the window where you can enter you equation
7. I click on one dimension, for example the D1 and SolidWorks then automatically fills in "D1@Sketch1"
8. I then click the equal sign (with a space before and after) using the number and operator buttons to the left in the window)
9. Then I test different things e.g. clicking on the D2 dimension so that it says "D1@Sketch1" = "D2@Sketch1" or adds "D1@Sketch1" = "D2@Sketch1" * 2 or simply "D1@Sketch1" = 5 or something else then I click “ok”
10. No matter what kind of equation I enter I get a window up saying “The syntax of this equation is incorrect” after having pushed the “ok” button in the previous step! Slightly frustration

I assume that the left hand of the equal sign is the dimension that you want to assign a value and the right hand of the equal sign is defining/assigning this value, thus the “formula” should be on the right hand side.
I hope that someone could point out my error. It's so basic that either I am doing something fundamentally wrong or it’s a freak thing.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back