Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Cant use the Equation function - "The syntax of this equation is incorrect"

Incongruity

Dear Fellas
I have a problem with the equation function in SolidWorks, the problem is simply that I cannot create any equation driven dimension!

I can open the equation tool but that’s about it. SW response to any simple equation is that I got the syntax wrong. I use SolidWorks 2003 version.

My steps in more detail below:
1. I open a new sketch
2. I make a simple rectangle
3. I give a dimension to the two of the sides of the rectangle, SolidWorks automatically name the two dimensions D1 and D2
4. I click “Equations” in the “tools”-menu
5. I click “Add…” in the window that then opens
6. I get up the window where you can enter you equation
7. I click on one dimension, for example the D1 and SolidWorks then automatically fills in "D1@Sketch1"
8. I then click the equal sign (with a space before and after) using the number and operator buttons to the left in the window)
9. Then I test different things e.g. clicking on the D2 dimension so that it says "D1@Sketch1" = "D2@Sketch1" or adds "D1@Sketch1" = "D2@Sketch1" * 2 or simply "D1@Sketch1" = 5 or something else then I click “ok”
10. No matter what kind of equation I enter I get a window up saying “The syntax of this equation is incorrect” after having pushed the “ok” button in the previous step! Slightly frustration

I assume that the left hand of the equal sign is the dimension that you want to assign a value and the right hand of the equal sign is defining/assigning this value, thus the “formula” should be on the right hand side.
I hope that someone could point out my error, it's so basic that either I am doing something fundamentally wrong or it’s a freak thing.

Should be okay.
The only problem I've really seen other than not being able to reference linked dims for Equations Dialog is when using edit all sometimes a blank line or some other spacing error launches a false error message. Make sure the Dims are bounded by " on each side with no extra spaces. " are used in SolidWorks which allows for dim names like "Alpha Beta@Sketch#"

The 2003 version of equation editor is missing many new improvements in SolidWorks which allow for ArcTangent and other Trig Functions that had been missing for way too long.

Sometimes you are given an error when referencing driven dimensions in equations but that is not a show stopper SW will allow it but does nag you about it. Try rebooting SolidWorks is always better than restarting your PC which Tech Support usually uses as an excuse when they have no clue about an answer.

Reinstalling your software should always be done as the last possible option.
"_ptc" : I no longer work for PTC but still know more about their products than most of their employees.

Last edited:
Has the equation issue been resolved? I am learning SWx 2013 and have asked for a solution from SWx forum and followed them with no success. Each respondent said my file worked on their computers. Is there a 'setting' that may be causing the malfunction?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back