Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Surface thicken problem

cerise

Hi,

I have imported a surface alsmost cylindrical from a mesh and I try to thick this surface but it doesn't work. example catia.jpg
Maybe because I have to reduce the amount of surfaces and merge them? Or should I smooth the part to avoid pleats/folds ?

Thank you

You are correct, this surface is very "dirty", it is not smooth or clean. If you go into Generative shape design, hold down the offset icon and you will see Rough Offset. Try a rough offset of zero. It will change the surface but that should clean it up for you a bit. Then try to thicken it again.

If it will not allow you to rough offset 0, rough offset whatever your thickness is, then try to thicken it the other direction.

If that doesn't work you could rough offset your thickness, then rough offset by your thickness again, but in the direction of the original surface. Then create the end surfaces and join them all together (or create planes to represent the end surfaces and split both rough offsets back to the planes) and use close surface in part design to get a solid. Close surface either needs all the surfaces joined together or planar ends.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back