Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Part Families and re-use models

Princess-Paul

I am about to attend a meeting where the discussion is about creating assemblies (furniture for power boats) that contain mating conditions, part families and sketches. The aim to to have re-use assemblies forour future models. My problem is how to get a discussion going about the business we are all involved in . Namely, none of our furniture we modelhas "common" parts. Everything is "bespoke" and the design style for wardrobes, beds, galley's, settee's tables grp trays etc vary from boat to boat. No two are similar let alone the same! Concept must be new everytime.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

For this reason I have spent my time re-using solids from previously created assemblies via "Wave Geometry Linker" and then I use "Remove Parameters" to arrive at a pile of "Unparameterized" solids which I can easily and quickly manipulate into my current design using "Offset faces" and "Split Body" and "Trim Body". From here I break them out into parts. It is much easier to model within an assembly using an array of solids than to work in isolation with individual parts. This releases me to be inventive and to tweek multiple items simultaneously. I use macro's to re-draw the parts using 2d and Bolean methods so others can edit my parts. This takes seconds.

Does anyone understand what I am talking about? We are moving from NX2 to NX7.5 next month and the senior chat is about how much quicker we will be compared to the past. It is assumed that we can create and re-use Part families or "Furniture". This does not inspire me with confidence as the opinions are held by non-cad managers.

Virtually 90% of parts created areextruded rectangleswith minor edge changes to a chamfer or radius. (3%) It's all plywood and some hardwoods we model to represent furniture/boxes but these boxes have on average 150 parts and nothing I have found in UG beats playing with "Unparameterized Solids". I can create 10 parts in the time it takes to make one sketch driven part.

I always wanted to create "envelopes" inside which my 150 parts could be manipulated via a 3d sketch system of careful linked faces/geometry condition. Is that possible in NX 7.5?

Please tell me I am missing something vital here. We model 500 parts a week and there are 18 of us.

why not use non-parametric synchronous modeling? Is like
working with unparameterized solids but on steroid...No
need in this case for parametric modeling.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back