Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

fluid flow volume extraction

venkat_bits

hi all,
currently im dng fluid flow analysis in ansys, i ve
extract the fluid flow volume,i heard tat in UG its easy to
extract fluid flow volume,can anyone tel me how to extract
fluid flow volume.my model is 3D.if u explain with simple
3d hollow pipe it ll better to understand..

REGARDS,
VENKAT

A coworker needs to extract the internal volume of an assembly for a flow analysis (CFD). The SIMPLE WAY I can tell you is:
1) export dumb solids to a file
2) unite relevant parts together
3) extract interior surfaces (extract region)
4) cap any holes (inlets/outlets)
5) sew surfaces into a solid
6) subtract any relevant parts out of the 'flow' solid
If you use such a procedure then during the extract region stage be sure to turn on "ignore holes" that will save you some time in capping openings.

You can occasionally model a solid from which to subtract the original so that you're left with the resultant cavity. There are so many ways to do this and variation of strategy to arrive at the desired geometry that I couldn't begin to describe them all, but NX is a very flexible tool and never more so that when dealing with these kinds of problems.

If you're designing in the knowledge that you will need to analyse these aspects of the design then it may pay to design the cavity as a subtraction solid so that it may be used as to check the flow later on. Depending on your existing design a parametric construction may often be wound back to the point where useful elements of the cavity can more easily be extracted or linked at a timestamps for later analysis.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back