Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

circular dependency

sunil

Greeting friends,

While working on assemblies, many a time i get a circular dependency error and i am unable to proceed further. As a result i end up breaking the wave links, because of which the assemblies do not update on any change.

What are the best practices to be followed while using wave linking ?

Any help in this matter is highly appreciated.

Warm regards,
Sunil

Well you're getting the circular link because you have data from one file that is dependent on the other file.

If you use wave linker. Lets say you have a part #1 and a part #2.. And you need to link a part of part one to part 2. If you make some changes to the linked body in the #2 file you can't link that body back to the #1 file. Because the geometry is dependent on part #1.. If you did need to make this like you can remove parameters on the part before you link it back to part #1.

It's kinda hard to explain. But that is usually where people run into problems with a circular link.

Hope this helps a little

Sunil, when I use wave linked features I usually don't doing any assembly level mating. My best practice guide for such features is to use them to create geometry and then break links afterwards and then mate them in the assembly.

Steve

Hello,

Steve what you suggest will work, but it would be problematic to update the structure created that way. I work with molds so I have to keep my assembly structure alive for updates. I will try to explain my way of avoiding circular dependencies. The main thing is to rememberlinking levels when creating wave link structure. So for the example if you need to take link geometry from (I will use mold names) "core" to create "core_insert_1" do not link geometry back to create pocket for that insert. That would cause circular dependency error. Instead take link from "core" to "core_block" and then you can link "core_insert_1" to "core_block" and subtract to create pocket. So in this example "core" is in the top level of linking structure and "core_block" and "core_insert_1" are at lower level and you can make wavelink + subctract operation between them.

Another thing which I should mention is "at timestamp" option while linking. It specifies the last feature which is going to be reflected in the linked body. Which means that if you take link from "core" to create "core_insert_1", you can link it back to "core" and subctract from it as long as the timestamp option of linking from "core" to "core_insert_1" will be set before that subctract operation.

I hope that it would help you to find your way to deal with this problem.

Pete

Wow !! Thanks a lot, friends for your detailed replies. I will check into it and be back if there are any more doubts.
smiley1.gif

Regards,
Sunil

Edited by: sunil

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back