Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Curtain walls profiles intersection

tyrnokop

Hi guys,
I'm a construction engineer in "Curtain Walls" sector. Till now i made my calculations and drafts in Autocad. After discovering SolidWorks software i was very interested and started selfeducation. I'm totally new in SW sphere, but totally inspired also. I made many readings including SW 2011 parts bible, i watched a lot of youtube movies, but my experience is quite far from the perfect.
I'm asking you for help about the following:
My current project is winter garden (green house). I need to make the intersection between two aluminium profiles (one for the roof and one for the facade) and remove the unwanted material. How can i do this without preliminary calculation of the cut angle. I'm posting you 4 images to make the
problem more understandable.
http://mediteh96.com/winterGarden/

If you are interested there is also a big archive with pictures and a movie from my previous project.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Edited by: tyrnokop

Hope this will help you:

2011-12-23_050908_Roof_Wall.zip

It is done in '2007.
If I remember well, starting with SW 2009, you can accomplish the same task working at assembly level.
When you make a cut at assembly level you will see a window that allow you to select the parts that will be cutting (and that will be reflected at the part level).
See also your SW help.

Good luck !

Hi Mihail,
Thanks for your quick response. I don't want to do the task in that way: Boss Extrude, Cut Extrude and Mates between the wall and roof profile. The reason is that the angle between wall and roof part for each assembly is different. And now imagine the number of assemblies is bigger than 20. I hope there is an easier way, in which i can combine the two parts and then remove the unnecessary material.

And again Thanks for your time and help.

Do you try to move the roof in my assembly (by dragging it to a new angle) ?
Do that then click the Rebuild button.
You will see that it work for (almost) all angles (of course in a certain range).

Also take a look to configurations (see SW help).

No problem with more complicated profiles.
Remember: I do that in SW 2007 where the CUT feature work only at the part level.
In newer versions of SW you can use this feature at assembly level.

If you need anything with wich i can help you, please just say it. Thanks for your empathy and willingness to share your knowledge. I have solidWorks 2011 professor educational movies and epub literature.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back