Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Section View Without Parent View

LoganCM3

I have an old board drawing with parts that have had significant modifications made. One of the parts is a bronze bushing. The view on the board drawing is just a section view of the bushing (no parent view with section cut). The drawing is very busy and I don't want to add any more views. I've created a section in the model itself but I cannot insert this view in the drawing without adding the parent view. Is there a way to show the main view of a part as a section without having a parent view somewhere? I have another project that is a large weldment that has 1 plan view arrangement drawing and about 10 or 11 drawings that are just one or 2 section views from that main arrangement that will need to be put into Solidworks (same issue will arise). Thanks for the help.
Edited by: LoganCM3

A way is to define a new configuration for the part.
In this configuration cut the part as you need for the section.
Insert the drawing for this configuration.

Another way is to think out of borders:
You need the section view to be in the drawing but you do NOT need the parent view to be IN DRAWING. Boolean logic: NOT IN DRAWING = OUT OF DRAWING
So, get out the parent view from the paper. Place the parent view NEAR the sheet and will be not printed. Hope you understand my English.

Good luck !

Thanks for your response. I was able to insert the parent part into the layout tab then enter insert the section view into the model tab. However, I cannot get rid of the "Section A-A" text underneat the view. It needs to have a mark number instead. Is there a way to get rid of the text?

As far as I know, that is not possible.
But, again, the same "thread" to follow:
Get out from your drawing "Section A-A" and replace with a text box where you can write whatever you wish.

There is a check box in the property manager for the section view. I believe it says "Manual Label". Then you can edit the label as you see fit. I'm pretty sure it's there, it is there on the detail views.

Edited by: bdzin

If you right click on the parent view there is an option to hide it. It will ask you if you want to hide the dependant view as well, just say no. The same thing works for "Section A-A", right click it and choose the hide option. (Make sure you right clickthe text box only)

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back