Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Adding a cut-out w/ inserted part?

Phil Greer

Hi all,

I return to you for your proven knowledge with SolidWorks to put it to another test; a problem I am having, can I add a part into an assembly in sheetmetal, and have that part bring with it a 'cut-out'.. ..like a negative.. ..let me demonstrate:

addnegative.jpg

In figure A we have the initial box in the assembly, and then what you see in B is the box again withpart I want to insert. The red outlines where the cut-out effect is applied. I want this to happen automatically when I insert the part.

I have learned and practicedSmart Components, so feel free to stop me now if that's where the answer lies. If not, please explain how I could achieve this?

Edited by: Phil Greer

Hello,

I would recommend using configurations. You could have one part file with multiple configurations, including the one you require shown above.

Bernie

Thanks for your response bdzin. Configurations looked like an option, andthey're downright brilliant sometimes, but so far I am unable to place the bar just anywhere. How would I achieve this while being able to move the bar anywhere along the length of the box (with the cut-out staying with it), as this is the aim?

I don't know if there's any way of doingthis to in SolidWorks, if you can't put the 'cut-out' in with it.

In that case I would place the bar using in context dimensioning from within the assembly. That is, if you want to change the position of the bar you edit the dimension that places the cutout. Relations keep the bar with the cutout.

If the bar and the cutout are always within the box then allow the cutout dimensions to position the bar. You can always use an simple equation to position the cutout so there you only edit the equation, not the sketch.

So far I don't know how to
I have some photos to help explain my problem. First is a whole Switchboard as viewed from the front, and second is the cubicals and mullions (think of the bar) that go with the cubicle. I need to create some easy way of generating this in SW, or a way to make it happen.

dsc0191ff.jpg

dsc0194oo.jpg

Phil,

Looking a the pictures now gives me a lot more information. What I see looks well made, it appears they cleaned up the welds nice too. We used to do them for a company that built power distribution systems for ships. We also made the buss bars out of both aluminum and copper.

It looks like the mullions are all the same width. In that case I would build the sides with a pattern of the flanges to match the door width. Then just pattern them along the length. Here's where equations would come along well. You could also make a block for each opening and position those using equations or even construction lines.

See this page: http://www.sheetmetalguy.com/blog/index.php?mode=viewcat&amp ;cat_id=3
as the formula and practice I would use comes from here.

Hope this helps!
Bdzin

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back