Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

New to Sheet Metal

Senor Dorado

I'm just getting started in sheet metal and need a good reference and or tutorial. I've done the SW tutorial and have a copy of 2007 The Bible for SW by Matt Lombard. I'm looking for any suggestions from professionals that are in the KNOW.

Thanks

Senor Dorado

go to solidworker.com there is a tutorial on how to turn a D12 to sheet metal, you may find it informative.

Hi Jim

In response to your reply I'd have to say yes to both just because I have a possible job opportunity for a sheetmetal designer and or detailer on the horizon. I have never used solid works for sheetmetal applications and will welcome any advice on how to go about getting started on the right path. I have an understanding of the Base Flange method for drawing sheetmetal parts, and along with practice can develop into a better drafter.

I would think knowing the workflow of the software would come first, wouldn't you?

Thanks for your reply!

Senor Dorado

Senor,

somthing I learnedfrom thefirst partI had made, the bend allowance within solid works is almost their best guess and does not reflect real life. Who ever manufactures the parts needs to tell you what radius their tools can achive, this will affect the overall dimensins of the parts, every part I drawI use my sheet metal manufacturers bend table, and often talk to them for advice on the rips and bend sequence and change the part to suit what is possible, this often saves time and money.

good luck (practice makes perfect)

Paul

Good tip, I had suspected such a detail as you have mentioned would surface but only experience would be able to point these discrepancies out.

i will keep this in mind as I go forward!

thanks

Senor

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back