Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Blocks with Editable Attributes

ken_i

I'm looking for some help with blocks. In (gasp, dare I say it?) AutoCAD, there was a feature for creating blocks with attributes (smart blocks). You could create a block that had attributes that could be edited within a drawing, that wouldn't change the actual block file.

Does anyone know if there's a way to create such a block in Solidworks? I've been trying, but as of yet, can't seem to figure it out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

Nothing?
smiley19.gif

Can you explain more what you're trying to do?

Although I suspect you are referring to configurations and design tables in SW. You would have an original file, say an M4 screw and then have further configurations of this, sometimes driven by a design table to produce all the other sizes required.

When you use SW after having used AutoCAD, you need to throw most of what you've learnt out the window and start again, it's a totally different way of thinking. Come back with more questions anyway and I'll try and help.

No, I'm familiar with configs and design tables.

I'm speaking on the 2d drafting side. I need to make blocks that I can use in drawings, that can be edited (edited i.e. change text within the block, without changing the block properties globally).

I'm doing some electrical drawings that won't (can't) be controlled by the CAD models. Basically I'm drawing in 2d. The files that we're using are mostly blocks, that we will just drop into the drawing file, add some lines and call it good.

OK, got you now.....no, don't know how you do that. I would always drop back into using AutoCAD if I'm doingschematics as I don't like how the 3D softwares 2D packages work.

Surely though you could still use Design Tables and configurations to do this!!?? It would require a slightly different way of working but it can be done.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

It is a little bit crude, but I have worked around the problem by creating parts that simply have a schematic sketch. I then use these parts to create the schematic in an assembly and ultimately put the assembly into the drawing. I created a "schematic folder" to save these parts in. I just do a general part schematic sketch (say a generic pump symbol) and then create configurations for each different piece of equipment (makes and models of pump) that might show up in my schematic. To each configuration I attach all of the relevant information in the custom properties. Doing it this way allows my BOM to update w/ my part model custom properties. I agree that this would be a lot easier if you could attach custom properies to blocks - but i believe that is not possible.

Sorry I missed this until now. The solution is very
simple. Use custom properties. Look up Custom Properties
in the SolidWorks Help file for stet by step instructions
on how to implement them on your drawing.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back