Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Frustrating hinge design

Hingemadness

Hello to all
smiley1.gif

I'm a new SW2010 user and ive started to practice designing very simple parts and shapes. Im currently trying to create a simple hinge joint with limited success and its frustrating to say the least as im sure im missing some minor step or 2 .
This is what im trying to create:
hingejoint.jpg

Ive been able to accomplish something similar using a Insert Part > Combine > Subtract feature but the results arent consistent nor based upon numeric input (im eyeballing the centering of the shape used to cause the negative impression).

Help would be greatly appreciated . Its a very simple part but being new to the software its causing me great frustration.. :(

I'll advise you to take a look at thepractise tutorials inside SolidWorks. They will show you how to model and edit basic shapes.However, you should model it this way:

step 1:Make a sketch at the top/front or right plane and revolve it arounda construction line/axis so you'll have the global shape without both of the cuts.

step 2:Sketch a circle at the same plane as step 1, and cut-extrude it using the mid-plane option.

step3: Do the same with a rectangle, but ofcourse at another plane to achieve the desired shape.

Hopefully it's clear enough ;)

Don't forget about the Hinge mate. It allows you to define concentric and coincident relations while also allowing you to set degrees of motion. Using the hinge mate will allow your hinge to 'function' as it would in the real world. You really don't need the pin in the assembly either.

Remember to place your moving parts last in the assembly!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back