Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

configurations

Paul4865

I have made an assembly of a platform which repeats along a row of machines, on the end section of the platform is a flat plate, I have two configurations of the plate with different hole configuations, whenI chose the configuration for the end platform all of the other parts change andI loose the mate references form the parts, is there a way to lock this to stop SW updating other parts within the assembly that are the same part, but adifferent configuration, I am able to build the platform with the alternative configuration but I cannot change this on the fly without all of the part changing to the same as the part I have configured, this is annoying as I have to build every platform when only a plate or two differ from all of them.

Any clues?????
smiley7.gif

Yea, you need to set up a design table to build different configurations and then use this in your main assembly atating which configuration you want at each point. You will notice in your feature tree that if you have a number of parts or assemblies all the same, they have a different number in brackets at the end of their name. This is then used in the design table to distinguish which configuration you want to be used of that particular part or assembly.

Hope that's what you are looking for. Come back with more questions if you dont understand.

Thanks Michael I will try that, it does work the way I usually do it but you have to state the sonfiguration while inserting the part, when I added a configuration post insertion and selected the new configuration it changed all of the parts in all the other sub assemblies with the mainassembly, I thought there may be a tick box somewhere to lock this out.

Regards

Paul

I found the best way to do it is to state everything in the design table.

I have an assembly which I created showing how it works which I've sent out to quite a few people so if you want it drop me a mail and I'll send it to you. It may be of some help.

Add (create) a configuration for the subassembly. Name it, for exemple, FlatPlatform.
Only in THIS configuration of the platform use the FlatPlate.
In your master assembly insert parts (the platforms) as usually. Now, if you change the configuration for one platform it must be change without affect the others.

Of course, if the mates are affected because geometry change you will lose this mates. So, be carefuly while you mate the platforms.

Good luck !

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back