Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Adding ribs to a revolved feature

Okipou

I can't believe I can't figure out how to do this.
smiley5.gif

I want to add the ribs sketched in green on one side of the grip.

It must be really simple but I just cant figure it out. This is doing my head in.

Any suggestions would be welcome

4855102582_19ca7ec8b0.jpg

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, like handle bar grips.

I did manage to make something close to what I wanted using "deform".

4856540675_93a74eebf5.jpg

But i'm not happy with the level of control I have over the features.

Maybe I'm a control freak
smiley17.gif

lol, control freakiness is good.

I would start off with revolving the end of the grip. Then to create the main grip area, I would have about 4 profiles equispaced around the central axis and loft them, this should give you the control you want to have.

Hope that makes sense.
smiley5.gif

Yes, it makes sense, I did try that, but I gave up on the idea, cause I thought that lofting would not produce the shape I wanted. I dont want to disrupt the base cylindrical shape of the grip. It would look better propably if I made a loft, but I need to do it like this.

Do the base cylindrical shape first and you can use the edge of this in your loft to create the joining edge.

Give me a little bit of time and I'll show you what I mean.

Okipou,

Are you working with solids or surfaces? With surfaces, you could easily create this with a loft using two sections and guide curves.

There's actually a tutorial on a similar profile (hand grip for garden hose) in the surfacing tutorial: Help>Solidworks Tutorials>Special types of models>Surfaces.

Here's a hint with profiles in red and guide curves in orange:

View attachment 5847

Jim

http://www.linkedin.com/in/shawengineering

That looks like just what I need!

I'm doing it in solid. I have a mechanical CAD / CAM background, so its not easy for me to get my head around surfacing. I'm thinking milling/turning when designing
smiley4.gif

I should have thought about it earlier to split it into different parts in orcer to constrain the loft.

I'm on a tight deadline atm, so I will redesign it when I'm done.

Then I will face my surfacing gremlins.
smiley29.gif

Thanks for the help

Edited by: Okipou

Do it in surfaces....and if you don't know how to do surfaces learn them , they change the way you model.

SW is pretty neat in that it splits up the surface bodies and solid bodies so they can be deleted or hidden which really helps in some cases and you can do some pretty neat stuff that you would never manage when solid modelling.

I modelled the grip in ProE but the principal is the same when doing in in SW.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back