Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

xbox 360 controller in Solidworks

SolarCreed

Could anyone tell me the techniques I would need to know to
make an xbox 360 controller in solidworks??
If anyone knows the measurements or has a tutorial vid it
would be very much appreciated!

Maybe my english is not enough. I do not understand what you want. Can you post some pics ?

Good luck !

Go to the tutorials in Solidworks and look at what's needed to make such a shape, things like surfacing etc. and learn those. Then give it a go.

I think most people who have spent any time on this forum will tell you, the best way to get help is to try it first on your own then when you get stuck come back and ask for exact help on that area you are having difficulty with.

Do as Waidesworld says and look at the SW tutorials.

I don't think you'll be happy to hear the 360 controller's shell was
actually designed in PRO/E.

As a Solidworks user myself, everytime I play XBOX I hurt a little
inside :)
Edited by: Kevin De Smet

I've had success in getting shapes very similar but its
dam near impossible for me to get exact dimensions! Fair
play if anyone pulls it off without difficulty!

Kevin De Smet said:
I don't think you'll be happy to
hear the 360 controller's shell was
actually designed in PRO/E.

As a Solidworks user myself, everytime I play XBOX I hurt
a little
inside :)

From now on I'll feel your pain!
opted for doing a psp instead, much easier!

It doesn't matter who designed it in what software package. I mean, do we care where the original idea was hatched or what type of bar napkin was used to sketch it out?

True but with such a complicated shape (for my skill level,
secondary school Student in Ireland..) I dont know how to
begin, I can manage old ps1 controllers but this is
completely different.
Also out of interest what jobs do ye have that requires ye
to use Solidworks/PRO/E??

Solarcreed,

Where abouts in Ireland are you?

A friend taught SolidWorks in one of the further education colleges in Co. Down. I sat in on one of his lectures and it was pretty basic stuff he was teaching. Have you been learning SW for long? Don't try and run before you can walk. It's very tempting to launch into modelling something interesting like a PSP controller but if you do and can't figure it out, it could just demoralise you.

Solar,

You should first see where you stand in terms of Solidworks requirements by having a look at the CSWA sample exam. (http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/796_ENU_HTML.htm) and the link for the pdf is on the top right of the page.

I'd go about getting this certificate and then look at the CSWP exam afterwards. Nothing like a certification from the company itself to set you on the correct path.

I graduated college from the University of Limerick back in 92 when Autocad 3 was the only drawing option, apart from a pencil of course! You are lucky to be able to have a crack at SW at so early a stage in your life.

michael3130,
I've accumulated a fair bit of experience, mainly from
doing stuff outside of school. Thus far the psp is fine
no big problems yet!

Waidesworld,
Thanks for the link I'll check it out. If I did both of
those do you think I could do freelance work on and off??
I'm currently looking at doing computer science but
having an extra qualification during college would be
great!
Any ideas where I could get sample drawings with instructions that would teach me different techniques?
Nothing like drawing with pencils!!
Thanks again for the advice!

Solarcreed,

Can you post a few pics of what you've done so far. I run a part time consultancy in Northern Ireland and am always interested to see if I can get people to help work on projects. There is work out there for freelancing, a lot of the time it's just getting in contact with the right people although a lot of the design work goes through Invest NI and then filters out through specific people.

SolarCreed said:
Could anyone tell me the techniques I would need to know to

make an xbox 360 controller in solidworks??

If anyone knows the measurements or has a tutorial vid it

would be very much appreciated!

Here are some options that I've utilized in Reverse Engineering.

1. measure by hand and/or digitizer
2. digitize by hand with digitizer arm and/or laser
3. laser scan surfaced, then covert the model to solids

4. download and convert/import 3dsmax and other formats from www.turbosquid.com pay$$ and hope the model is correct.

good luck...
smiley32.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back