Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Shaft spline

Phizinza

Hi, I'm drawing a stub axle for a car (it's the part that connects the differential to the axle). It is short and has two splines on each end. Now I gather you don't need a spline drawn in the cad drawing as the spline cutter manufactures use doesn't use the drawing. But I would like to have something there just to show it is splined. Is there any easy ish way to draw a spline around the shaft?

Thank you

Something like
spline.JPG

And this
IM001061.jpg

For least memory you could simply have lines and an annotation, stating that it is splined with dimensions on the call out. If you want to actually draw it, use the circular pattern tool.

1. Sketch a triangle on the endface of the shaft (either to remove or add material).

2. Extrude the proper depth

3. Circular pattern it, using the axis (or temp axis) of the existing shaft as the reference.

4. Save the part

You could show a small area of the spline drawn on to your 2D views though I would think it would be just as easy to do what Jim Shaw has suggested.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back