Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Text references for mechanical drawing

model400747

Hi, I am using Solidworks and I would like to invest in a text that shows me how to properly make shop drawings in solidwoks that are easy to interpret by a machinist. For example, I'm making a drawing of a part with a lot of holes in it. I would like to know what the ANSI standard is for making a drawing for such a part.

I would like to find a "one stop shop" for tis kind of thing so I'm not running around all over the web getting many different opinions. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time!
Windell
Edited by: model400747

You'll need something a bit more involved than I think you may be aware. ASME Y14.5M-2009 covers how to detail drawings. ASME Y14.100 covers general rules and also points to other procedures/standards you'll need. The best thing right now that I would suggest is take blueprint reading courses are your local JC.

Make sure that the company you are selling your work to are also working to this standard. We send some of our drawings to Europe where the standards are the same...up to a point.

Not all machinists are trained equally. Also, I have found that the machinists are not fools and will call you if they are unsure of a dimension, or a call out.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back