Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

nesting fixture for 3D part

new to sw

I need to design a nesting fixture for a 3D part. How do I do it? I
have the part drawing. I am using SW 2007. I would really appreciate if
someone can help me on this.

Thanks

The part (main part) needs to be placed in a press, and another mating part is supposed to be placed above it, and assembled via a series of tabs that need to be snapped into the holes of the main part. For that I need to design a nesting fixture that will be a large block where the geometry of the main part will be carved into it, so that the part will be placed inside this block in the press, in a tight fit.

If I get you right though I'm not sure I do, you're trying to remove the shape of the main part from the press. Am I right? If I am, you can create a use the main part as a cutter and subtract this from the part you're using as the press.

Theres a couple of ways:

1 - Create part 1 as your press. Bring it and the main part into the assembly. Assemble the parts together the way you want them. From memory, you can then use the 'cavity' tool to remove the main part from part 1.

2 - Create a copy of your main part. Open the copy then model the press part in the required position but keep it as a seperate solid body. You can then remove the main part from the press part.

Hope that makes sense. E-mail me back if you have any more questions. I don't have SW here so can't be more specifec with my answers at the minute.

You will need to open up the resulting hole a bit to allow for tolerances in the main part. Also should the main parthave a portion that extends out, you may need to cut the fixture part so the main part can be inserted and removed.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back