Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Modeling from 3-View

BenOggo

Dear Community Members

I am a noob to SolidWorks and even to CAD overall. However I have searched the Forum before posting and I have asked the person that recommended SolidWorks for my purpose before posting. I know my way around very basic functions of SolidWorks.

I would like to model an airplane from scale plans. For many aircrafts so called 3-views exist where you can see the plane from top, front and side. Now lets assume It's like to model the plane as one part and later separate. What I would like to do is to define three planes (later more for other sections) that I can texture with the plans. This would already give me a kind of grid image and some defined points of the part. A fried of mine showed me that in 3DSmax. Now, I dounderstand that normally it is done the other way around in CAD, meaning that the plans are generated from the modeled parts. In my case the plans are old (1930ies) and I would like to construct the plane according to scale plans.

What I have found out is that I could define very very thin parts instead of just a plane and then give them theaircraft plansas textures. But seriously, if I start like that I will neverget the hang of it.When I try to texture just a plane I don't see anything (this also makes sense as nothing can have no texture). But there must be some kind of helpful function to do this?

Is is there any tutorial that you can recommend that show drawing 3d parts from 2d plans? How can the things described above be accomplished? I am grateful for any related information. Thanks for reading.

Once these three projections are hung up and centered over the origin sketching becomes much easier. (airplane example)

BenOggo
Edited by: BenOggo

Hm. An airplane... I think is not the best idea to start learning CAD. I can not design an airplane (even a smaller one). And I think that only2 or 3 guys from heare can do that (in houndred hoursof work).

But... maybe someone can teach you "how to". Good luck !

If you are just needing the skin, I would recommend 3D Studio Max instead. You'll be able to put it into 3D animation software, like fore movies and such. SW is more geared towards engineering design and development.

BenOggo,

You can lay the 3 images on the planes, putting the top image on the X-Y plane, the next on the Y-Z plane and the plan view on the X-Z plane. This could then be used to trace the outline of your plane. It won't be easy but go for it.

I can't remember exactly where you go in SW to set the images on the planes but use the help files and that should show you.

As Michael said above, you can trace (sketch) over an image. In a SW sketch, go to Tools-Sketch Tools-Sketch Picture. This will allow you insert a picture and then sketch over it.

burnsp said:
As Michael said above, you can trace (sketch) over an image. In a SW sketch, go to Tools-Sketch Tools-Sketch Picture. This will allow you insert a picture and then sketch over it.

Thanks. That's exactly the kind of Information I need. I will try it outand tell you how it went. Will these Images only be visible while sketching or as long as I want them to be?

I know that modeling an airplane is not easy but learning is my life.

Edit: Once I knew to search the Help for "sketch picture" a whole new world opens up. Thank you so much.
Edited by: BenOggo

BenOggo said:
burnsp said:

Thanks. That's exactly the kind of Information I need. I will try it outand tell you how it went. Will these Images only be visible while sketching or as long as I want them to be?

I know that modeling an airplane is not easy but learning is my life.

When you go back into the sketch, the images will be there. They are saved as part of the sketch.

Ok BenOggo. I understand from the "old"cad workerthat is ok to try. They are better and betterthan me, so... I try also to help you to model an... airplain.

Be very carefuly when you scalled and center the pictures. All three views must be at the same scale and must have the same center.

You can not obtain a sketch from the picture (you can not transform the picture in a sketch). Is necessary to use the sketch toolbar (the tools for sketch, like LINES, ARCs and so on) to make a kind of "copy" of your pictures, in all three views.

How you transform this sketches in a 3D model... I don't know. But Iam luckytolearn in the same time with you.

Again GOOD LUCK and thanks to all witch teach us.

Mihail said:
Ok BenOggo. I understand from the "old"cad workerthat is ok to try. They are better and betterthan me, so... I try also to help you to model an... airplain.

Be very carefuly when you scalled and center the pictures. All three views must be at the same scale and must have the same center.

You can not obtain a sketch from the picture (you can not transform the picture in a sketch). Is necessary to use the sketch toolbar (the tools for sketch, like LINES, ARCs and so on) to make a kind of "copy" of your pictures, in all three views.

How you transform this sketches in a 3D model... I don't know. But Iam luckytolearn in the same time with you.

Again GOOD LUCK and thanks to all witch teach us.

Actually you can try to transform the picture into a sketch. The better the quality of the picture the better. IN SW2009 it is an add-on function of the sketch picture dialog. Gives a pretty decent sketch and can be modified. I think it even applies splines where possible. So fare I have only tried with low-res scans which worked but obviously does not work so well. Especially because it was from scanned .pdf. Best is to transform any such picture into black and white bitmap then the line tracing works. I have to wait for my high-res scans of the airplane plans to tell you for sure. I know that placing and scaling the pictures right in space is key to a successful attempt. As I have many more sections then just the 3-view plans I will get a pretty good definition of several key points. Again thanks for all your help. I will keep you posted.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back