Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Outer threads

Bwts

Hiya

I have created a 30M (ISO) hole, using the hole wizzard and now need to create a pipe with a thread on the outer surface to put into that hole but for the life of me cant find a way to do this.

Any help much appriciated thanks B

One thing you can do is to create a pipe of requireddiameter and length. Using cosmetic thread option you can apply external threads on that pipe. insert-anotation-cosmetic thread.

If you need actual threads cut on pipe, then use cut sweep and helix in combination.

Bhushan Dhok

I agree. And still no real good solution. Hopefully SW makes it easier. Big problem when trying to use SW into 3D Printing applications.

I saved it into a step file. We are trying to get some
parts from a vendor who does 3D printer. Sorry, don't know
what he uses.He requested the step file. Said he couldn't
do threads using the cosmetic feature in SW and external
threads too. He made the comment that if he uses SW for
the modeling, the parts do not come out right. Dimensions
are distorted. Strange comment.
Edited by: jmrec100

Interesting, we havent tried to print screw threads yet but have printed off a few simple designs from SW generated geometry without any problems.

You can use a tapered helix with a swept cut. That adds quite a bit of size to the file though. What a lot of us do is download a pipe nipple from a place like www.mcmaster.com or www.grabcad.com and modify it to use in our designs.

I and most likely many of us then use configurations so we can easily suppress the swept-cut threads to speed up regenerations while we work on the file. What you should realize is that the shown threads from any downloads may only be an approximation, they may not be accurate.

Personally I don't suggest printing the threads. I would 'print' a hole that I could glue a nipple or half coupling into. The threads will be much stronger.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back