Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

file management

tyedi

I am new to SolidWorks and have been given a project to finish (Am a Pro/E user). All files are currently sitting in one directory. I would like to create sub-directories for library parts, a working directory (for each user)and a read-only directory for files that have been through the formal release process. My question, is there some kind of configuration file that I cancreate search paths for all these newly created directories? Idid find in the SW help section, where you can move files, then do a manual search on the moved file(s), rebuild, then save the sub-assembly. This sounds like a lot of work, considering the number of assemblies and sub-assemblies I would have to do this process to each time I released a piece part. Is there a more "global" way to achieve this?

Any advice would be greatly apprecitated!

Thanks,

Di

We have our hardware/library files located on the network, with the path for the design library pointing to that location (tools > options > System Options tab > File Locations > Design library. Most other files (templates, etc.) are one the network as well. The working directory is local to reduce network traffic.

The file locations option in the system options tab is where you'll set up most of your default locations for various files. System Options is like the configuration file for Pro/E (former ProE user- I miss it!).

I don't know that there is a default working directory, I'm pretty sure it uses whatever the last directory was used. A word of caution here: sometimes, you will have to edit design library files, or other files, and SW will get confused and change the working directory on you; savingyour workingfiles to the new location (this is with SW 2007 SP 3.0). Maybe they've fixed this with the later releases?

As for released files, I strongly recommend that you use PDMWorks. I'm not sure if there is a free version that comes with SW, but the version we use (the paid version) is well worth the money. Once a file is checked in and write protected, you can check it out (and all relavent files) to your working directory to make changes.

This is just to get started. You'll set up your system, then make changes to it and tweak it as you learn about it. Don't expect it to do everything flawlessly all at once.

Thanks for the response, very helpful...no option to purchase additional packages, so I will have to maintain the files manually. I appreciate all you input and advice!

Di

I have the same problem.NO PDM.I have a hardware file I keep all my commonly use hardware in. if I use a screwI have to make a copy of it and put it in the file with the assm to keep it clean. If I use the same screw in multiple assm'swithout coping it, it causes reference problems. It

President Barack Obama, under growing criticism for not seeking to end the ban on openly gay men and women in the military, is extending benefits to same-sex partners of federal employees. Obama plans to announce his decision on Wednesday in the Oval Office, a White House official said Tuesday. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because the president hadn't yet signed the presidential memorandum.
The official said Obama would release more details on Wednesday.
The decision is a political nod to a reliably Democratic voting bloc that in recent weeks has grown frustrated with the White House's slow movement on their priorities.
last chaos gold
Several powerful gay fundraisers withdrew their support from a June 25 Democratic National Committee event where Vice President Joe Biden is expected to speak. Their exit came in response to a June 12 Justice Department brief that defended the Defense of Marriage Act, a prime target for gay and lesbian criticism. Justice lawyers argued that the law allowed states to reject marriages performed in other states or countries that defy their own standards.
The legal arguments -- including citing incest and sex with minors -- sparked rebellion among gay and lesbian activists who had been largely biting their tongues since Obama won election. They had objected to the Rev. Rick Warren's invitation to participate in the inauguration despite his support for repealing gay marriage in California.
Their January protest won the invitation of Episcopal Bishop V. Gene Robinson, whose consecration as the first openly gay bishop divided and almost split his denomination.
buy last chaos gold
Gays and lesbians later fretted as the White House declined to intervene in the cases of enlisted military members facing courts martial for defying the Clinton-era ''don't ask, don't tell'' policies. White House officials say they want Congress to repeal the policy as part of a ''lasting and durable'' solution, instead of intervening on individual cases.
last chaos money
Health Top Tips Nutrition Love Lifestyle Happiness Weight Loss
''The president agreed that ... the policy wasn't working for our national interests, that he committed to change that policy, that he's working with the secretary of defense and the joint chiefs on making that happen,'' White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said last month.
In the meantime, the administration has tried to make small, quiet moves to extend benefits to gays and lesbians. The State Department has promised to give partners of gay and lesbian diplomats many benefits, such as diplomatic passports and language training.
last chaos gold
But without a specific change in the Federal Employees' Health Benefits Program, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton's promises left out financial benefits such as pensions. Obama's move could make that shift.
Gay and lesbian activists had expected Obama to take action some time in June, which is gay pride month.
John Berry, the highest-ranking gay official in the administration and the de facto human resources chief for the administration, told a gay rally last weekend that Obama planned to take action on benefits soon.
Berry, who heads the Office of Personnel and Management, has repeatedly told reporters that he expected the White House to turn to legislation to give domestic partners access to federal health and retirement plans.
But Obama so far has sent only one piece of legislation to the Hill -- a pay-as-you-go measure that is part of his wooing of fiscally conservative Democrats.
last chaos money
Instead, Obama will use his signature instead of legislation to achieve the benefits parity sought by same-sex couples.

Also take a look at CheckOut 5.1 It works very good with multiple users and one user and best of all it is really easy to set up and use. Even with one user there is a need to manage your data so you can find it later and not have to worry about it getting messed up because of common parts getting changed. The link for checkout 5.1 is www.hcs-checkout.com.

I forgot to mention above that there is a free single user license for CheckOut 5.2 (It was just upgraded from 5.1). It will do everything the multi-user license will do so if and when you want to add users its a snap, just upgrade the license file and add as many users as you want.

I use both Pro-E and SolidWorks, and it is true that Pro-E allows for the creation of a search directory. This file, search.pro, specifies the location of standard library parts. As far as I know, SolidWorks does not have an equivalent.

SolidWorks looks for the file in the location where it was last loaded. If the file location is moved, then you will manually need to look for the file. This is why I would recommend organizing your library for storing part files that will be reused in the future, and not moving those files to another location.

Concerning PDM programs that work with single users, as previously mentioned, I also use DesignDataManager (DDM) as I can run it on my laptop, and manage both SolidWorks and Pro-E files. DDM can be expanded for several users.

I have not looked at CheckOut since I already have DDM, so I cannot provide any information on how that product compares to the other PDM products.

You can do to the Sony Ericsson website at www.sonyericsson.com under
the support section. Select your model phone and then go to "Software
Downloads" for the software from the CD. The PC Suite application is
what downloads the drivers of your phone to the computer and can also be
used as a file manager.

===============
JML | Learning Resources

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back