Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

making multiple features from one sketch

jesusgatos

I'd like to figure out the best way to reuse parts of a sketch (lines, arcs, splines, etc.) to make new features. I've just been re-drawing everything in each sketch in order to make a new feature, but that approach doesn't really work so well with free-form splines because I can't get them to lay exactly on top of each other.

So, is there a way that I can copy something like a spline from one sketch and drop it into another? Or maybe another way to pull part of one sketch into another sketch, or however I could use that geometry to make a new feature.

Thanks in advance. Please let me know if I need to explain the question more clearly.

When starting your new sketch, click on the line elements (select them) from
your previous sketch and select "convert entities" on the sketch toolbar. This
will copy those lines exactly into your new sketch. Make sure under the
"view" menu you have "sketches" turned on and you may need to go into the
previous sketch in the feature tree and click "show" (right mouse click to
select "show", to make sure the previous sketch shows).

also by doing what reddog says, your sketched will update together so if you change the initial sketch the ones linked to it will also change.

So be careful in your modelling technique.

Michael

If you do not want your new sketch to "update" if your previous sketch
changes, while in your new sketch, click on "display relations" and you will
see an "on edge" relation (the new sketch relating to the previous one where
you converted entities)... just delete that on edge relation, and the new
sketch will no longer be tied to the old sketch. You may want to add some
relations while in the new sketch, to tie it down or fully define it.

In SW07, another option is to use the "Link Value" feature. It allows you to link several dims to one parameter...changing one dim value changes the others that are linked to the same parameter. SearchSW help for more detailed info.

BTW, I'm impressed with SW Help compared to Pro/E. I've only been using SW for a few weeks after several years of Pro/E and already, with no training, I'm fairly productive. IMO, Pro/E's help is pretty much useless.

jesusgatos, you can use the 'contour' tool when creating features from one sketch. Simply select regions using the 'contour' tool within the feature creation dialog that need to go to certain depths. This is a ccol way to use sketches from another program.

Steve

to reuse you must keep things simple. What I mean is make your sketches as simple as possible so when you come back to re visit the geometry making modifications is easier.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back