Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

creating features from imported body

hellomoto

This is probably not possible, but seeing how solidworks can convert a 2d dxf into a solid part with features, maybe this is possible.

Often I have problems importing ProE models, so I just import the part as a solid body. The question is, after I have this solid body, can solidworks analyze the "dumb" solid and convert some of it (if not all) into features?

SW2007 sp2.2

Thx,

Hellomoto

Yes, you can use the 'Feature Works' tool which will allow you to create features from an imported solid model.

Steve

Hi all, I'm new on this forum, and to be honest a bit of a beginner in Solidworks, but I'm hoping that you can help me out here.

I have a part that I designed. I then saved as an .igs file and sent off to a CNC shop. I then lost my computer and all backup data to a light footed thief. I've since asked the CNC shop to send back the file, but I'm now struggling to 'recognise' some of the features. I find this a bit hard to understand as I created the part in Solidworks, but it wont recognise some simple 'chamfer' and 'extruded cut' features.

I've tried both automatic and interactive choices, but I keep being told the feature cannot be recognised! I'm at a bit of a loss.

I suppose that I could just re-create the part from scratch, but it wasn't really in the plan seeing as SW is supposed to have this feture recognition thing.

Is there something plainly obvious that I'm not doing?

Mattpatt,

FeatureWorks haslimited functionality. It's better than it used to be but it wont recognise all the features that were previously created unless it's a relatively simple part. As far as SW is concerned you could have created the part in an 3D CAD package that exports to DXF.

I know you can't cater for thieves but it shows how important data backup is

You may just have to recreate the part. At least it will be quicker 2nd time round and you'll find better ways to model it too.
smiley1.gif

Michael

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply. Seems a little strange that SW can't recognise the features it created, but hey ho, if that's the way it is then so be it. The particular part in question isn't too difficult anyway, so I guess that I'll just follow your advice and start again
smiley19.gif

If you're running FeatureWorks on an imported .igs file, you might be better off changing it into a solid model before you run FeatureWorks.

Steve

Well, I tried lots of things but have been unable to recognise all the features. Still, I took Michael's advice and recreated the part.

Saving solidworks files in a PARASOLID format is one of the best ways of saving your data in a non native format. Parasolid is the kernal from UG that solidworks is created from. The file sizes are quite small and easy to back up onto other media as well. I utilze parasolid binary, x_b. Feature works doesn't have too much trouble with these types of files either, once again, it's not perfect, but not bad either. Just a thought.

good luck
smiley32.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back