Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Changing sldprt references in slddrw file

jpotter

I have several solid parts for which I need to create 2-D dimensioned
drawings. The parts differ in small details, but are otherwise quite
similar. I did not use configurations to create the files because my
MasterCAM programmer has issues with extracting different solids from a
drawig with configurations. Instead I make one sldprt for each unique
piece and he imports each of them into MasterCAM directly.

I now have a nicely (for me anyway) dimensioned drawing of one of these
parts. If I could just change the name of the file referenced by the
drawing file I could presumably create a nearly identical drawing with
the new dimensions. After all, if I make a change to the referenced
model, the drawing updates itself just fine.

Any ideas about how I might do this?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

This is actually easier than you think. Save the original drawing file as a copy and rename to reflect the unique file name you have given each unique part file. As you open each new drawing, select file open, which opens a window to select the file. Single click on the new drawing you want to open, this will highlight the file you are after. In the bottom right corner of this new window is a box marked "references". Click on this box and a new window will open. In this box you will find 2 columns, one referencing the new pathname and one referencing the current pathname. Double click on the new pathname and this will open yet another window where you can browse your files to select the correct part file you wish the drawing document to reference. Double click on the part file you wish and it will change the refernce of the drawing document to this part file. Click OK on the still open window and then click open on the original window which opens the drawing document. You should see the changes. Let me know if this helps. If not I will send you my email address and we can discuss further.

Thanks,

Mike

worked!

Mike this worked great. Thanks for writing this. Im still a bit confused on the two columns, and Ill probably have to do some testing to figure it out. One seems to be for the part name, and one for the directory. I updated both and it fixed it for me. I wonder what happens if you only update one, or the other.

Jim,

This is actually easier than you think. Save the original drawing file as a copy and rename to reflect the unique file name you have given each unique part file. As you open each new drawing, select file open, which opens a window to select the file. Single click on the new drawing you want to open, this will highlight the file you are after. In the bottom right corner of this new window is a box marked "references". Click on this box and a new window will open. In this box you will find 2 columns, one referencing the new pathname and one referencing the current pathname. Double click on the new pathname and this will open yet another window where you can browse your files to select the correct part file you wish the drawing document to reference. Double click on the part file you wish and it will change the refernce of the drawing document to this part file. Click OK on the still open window and then click open on the original window which opens the drawing document. You should see the changes. Let me know if this helps. If not I will send you my email address and we can discuss further.

Thanks,

Mike

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back